The Memphis Grizzlies (7-15), who are currently on an 11-game skid, will attempt to get back in the win column when they welcome the Minnesota Timberwolves (14-10) to FedExForum. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 203.5 points with Minnesota set as a 2-point favorite. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, December 4, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Minnesota Timberwolves at Memphis Grizzlies Free Preview
The Timberwolves were victorious over the Los Angeles Clippers in their last matchup, 112-106. Jimmy Butler was the top scorer from either team with 33 points on 10-for-20 shooting. Minnesota dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 6.4 (better than their season average of 12.5) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.6 (above their season average of 25.7). Los Angeles was 16.2 and 22.2, respectively, for those same stats.
The last time the Grizzlies played, they were defeated by the Cleveland Cavaliers, 116-111. Tyreke Evans led Memphis in scoring with 31 points on 10-for-20 shooting. Cleveland did an excellent job of making free throws (21-23; 91.3 percent). Memphis, on the other hand, held the Cavaliers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 3.2 (below their season average of 21.4).
Half-court execution will be critical when two of the leagues slowest-paced teams square off. Memphis currently ranks 30th in possessions per game (95.8) and Minnesota is 24th (98.4). Moreover, the Timberwolves, who rank fourth in offensive rebounding percentage (26.0 percent), will clash against the Grizzlies, who rank 21st in defensive rebounding percentage (76.7 percent).
Of Minnesota’s 23 games that accepted bets, 11 have finished over the projected point total, while 14 of Memphis 22 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Timberwolves have a clear advantage. They are 14-10 SU and 10-11-2 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 7-15 SU and 7-14-1 ATS.
Butler has been on fire over the last five games for Minnesota, averaging 20.2 points, 5.8 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Grizzlies won three out of four meetings last season. In the most recent contest, Memphis won 107-99. The Grizzlies dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.429 and a great turnover percentage of 8.7. The Timberwolves were 0.226 and 11.3, respectively, for those same stats.
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Memphis Grizzlies ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Timberwolves, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Under
- The Grizzlies rank first in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.6) while the Timberwolves rank 20th (17.8).
- Minnesota ranks second in rebounds allowed per game (40.8) while Memphis ranks 15th (43.4).
- Minnesota ranks fifth in steals per game (8.8) while Memphis ranks 22nd (7.4).
- Memphis averages 43.9 points in the paint per game, which ranks 16th in the league. Minnesota ranks 22nd in points allowed in the paint per game (46.1).
- On the road, Minnesota is 6-5-1 ATS with 7 overs and 5 unders.
- Memphis is 3-9 ATS at home with 10 unders and 2 overs.
- When allowing below 100 points, Minnesota is 7-1 and Memphis is 5-3.
- The Grizzlies are 4-4 when they reach 100 points, while the Timberwolves are 13-6.
- The Grizzlies rank eighth in blocks per game (5.4) while the Timberwolves rank 25th (3.5).
- Minnesota ranks fourth in second chance points per game (14.9) while Memphis ranks 29th (8.7).
- The Grizzlies rank fourth in assists allowed per game (20.3) while the Timberwolves rank 26th (24.4).
- The Grizzlies rank 19th in three pointers attempted per game (27.2) while the Timberwolves rank 29th (23.1).
- Memphis averages 14.0 fast break points per game, which ranks fifth in the league. Minnesota ranks 26th in fast break points allowed per game (13.3).
- Memphis is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Minnesota is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Grizzlies’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.4, up from 3.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 109.4 points per game (1.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 103.8 points per game (3.5 below their season average).