The Dallas Mavericks (2-13) will be at home in American Airlines Center when they meet the Minnesota Timberwolves (9-5). The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 212.5 points with Minnesota set as a 7-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 8:30 p.m. ET on Friday, November 17, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southwest.
Minnesota Timberwolves at Dallas Mavericks Odds Preview
The Timberwolves beat the San Antonio Spurs in their last game, 98-86. Karl-Anthony Towns was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 10-for-18 shooting. The Timberwolves had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 6.0 (better than their season average of 13.6) and held the Spurs to an effective field goal percentage of 0.462 (below the 0.557 mark opponents have averaged against Minnesota this season).
In the Mavericks last matchup, they were topped by the San Antonio Spurs, 97-91. Dennis Smith Jr. was Dallas high scorer with 27 points on 10-for-23 shooting. San Antonios offensive rebounding percentage was their largest advantage over Dallas. The Spurs had a rate of 18.6 (below their season average of 25.6), while the Mavericks posted a mark of 11.4 (below their season average of 19.5).
Getting to the line might be few and far between for Dallas in this contest. The Mavericks currently rank 23rd in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.181, while Minnesota ranks first in FTA rate allowed (0.157).
Of Minnesotas 14 games, seven have finished under the O/U total, while 7 of Dallas 15 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Timberwolves have a substantial advantage. They are 9-5 SU and 7-6-1 ATS, while the Mavericks are 2-13 SU and 4-11 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Timberwolves, its been Taj Gibson, who has averaged 13.0 points, 9.6 rebounds and 1.2 steals, while the Mavericks have gotten solid contributions from Harrison Barnes (23.8 points and 8.8 rebounds).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 211 points in that game, which was just under the projected point total of 214. The Timberwolves won 112-99, covering as 12-point favorites. The Timberwolves played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.203 and a great offensive rebounding percentage of 29.4. For those same stats, the Mavericks had marks of 0.103 and 15.6, respectively. Towns recorded a double-double with 31 points and 12 rebounds.
Minnesota Timberwolves at Dallas Mavericks Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Timberwolves, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Under
- The Timberwolves rank fourth in steals per game (9.1) while the Mavericks rank 25th (7.0).
- Dallas ranks 17th in blocks allowed per game (5.0) while Minnesota ranks 25th (5.7).
- Minnesota ranks sixth in points off turnovers per game (19.4) while Dallas ranks 26th (14.9).
- Minnesota averages 13.8 second chance points per game, which ranks seventh in the league. Dallas ranks 12th in second chance points allowed per game (11.7).
- Minnesota is 3-4-1 ATS on the road, while Dallas is 2-6 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 4 of the Timberwolves 8 road games, while 4 of the Mavericks 8 home games have gone over.
- Dallas is 2-4 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Minnesota is 6-0.
- The Timberwolves are 8-4 when they reach the century mark, while the Mavericks are 2-4.
- The Mavericks rank 15th in assists allowed per game (22.2) while the Timberwolves rank 26th (24.3).
- Dallas ranks second in three pointers attempted per game (32.9) while Minnesota ranks 26th (22.3).
- The Timberwolves rank third in rebounds allowed per game (41.0) while the Mavericks rank 26th (46.4).
- The Mavericks average 8.1 fast break points per game, which ranks 21st in the league. The Timberwolves rank 29th in fast break points allowed per game (14.8).
- Minnesota ranks fourth in points in the paint per game (48.0) while Dallas ranks 26th (35.1).
- Dallas is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Minnesota is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Mavericks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.0, down from 8.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 106.0 points per game (2.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 104.2 points per game (4.7 below their season average).