The Brooklyn Nets (14-23) will be at home in Barclays Center when they challenge the Minnesota Timberwolves (24-14). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 213.5 points with Minnesota opening as a 6.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on YES Network.
Minnesota Timberwolves at Brooklyn Nets ATS Preview
The Timberwolves dismantled the Los Angeles Lakers in their last game, 114-96. With 21 points and nine rebounds, Minnesota’s Andrew Wiggins had a good performance. Minnesota dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 15.3 (worse than their season average of 11.6) and a free throw rate of 0.333 (above their season average of 0.228). Los Angeles recorded marks of 21.3 and 0.263, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Nets last matchup, they defeated the Orlando Magic, 98-95. Brooklyn received a boost from DeMarre Carroll, who had 14 points and 10 rebounds. The Nets held the Magic to an effective field goal percentage of 0.396 (below their season average of 0.521) and had a better free throw rate (0.207 vs. 0.198).
Conflicting paces will be on display in this matchup. Brooklyn prefers to play up-tempo (fourth in possessions per game), while Minnesota likes to grind-it-out (21st in possessions per game). Also, the Timberwolves rank third in turnover percentage (12.9 percent), while the Nets rank 29th in opponents turnover percentage (12.6 percent).
Of Minnesota’s 38 games, 20 have finished over the O/U total, while 20 of Brooklyn’s 37 games have finished under the projected point total. The Timberwolves have the better straight up (SU) record (24-14 vs. 14-23), but the Nets hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (22-15 vs. 17-19-2).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Timberwolves, it’s been Jimmy Butler, who has averaged 28.0 points, 5.6 assists, 5.2 rebounds and 1.6 steals, while the Nets have gotten solid contributions from Caris LeVert (16.4 points, 6.4 assists and 1.2 steals).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after splitting two games last season. The Timberwolves won the most recent contest 129-109. The Timberwolves played a perfect game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 27.1 and a great turnover percentage of 9.3. For those same stats, the Nets had marks of 12.2 and 12.7, respectively.
Minnesota Timberwolves at Brooklyn Nets Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Timberwolves, ATS Winner – Nets, O/U – Under
- The Timberwolves rank third in points off turnovers per game (18.8) while the Nets rank 24th (15.3).
- Minnesota ranks 10th in blocks allowed per game (4.6) while Brooklyn ranks 26th (5.5).
- Minnesota ranks fourth in points in the paint per game (47.8) while Brooklyn ranks 22nd in points allowed in the paint per game (45.6).
- Brooklyn ranks 15th in fast break points per game (10.6) while Minnesota ranks 24th in fast break points allowed per game (13.3).
- Minnesota is 11-7-1 ATS on the road with 11 overs and 8 unders.
- At home, Brooklyn is 9-7 ATS with 8 overs and 8 unders.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Brooklyn is 9-0 and Minnesota is 11-2.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Nets are 11-17 and the Timberwolves are 22-8.
- The Nets rank eighth in assists allowed per game (21.5) while the Timberwolves rank 26th (24.1).
- Brooklyn ranks second in three pointers attempted per game (34.1) while Minnesota ranks 28th (23.0).
- The Timberwolves rank third in rebounds allowed per game (41.1) while the Nets rank 28th (46.0).
- The Timberwolves rank sixth in second chance points per game (14.1) while the Nets rank 18th in second chance points allowed per game (12.4).
- Minnesota ranks fourth in steals per game (9.0) while Brooklyn ranks 28th (6.5).
- Brooklyn is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Minnesota is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Nets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.6, down from 2.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 113.2 points per game (4.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 103.4 points per game (2.5 below their season average).