The Atlanta Hawks (14-35) will be at home in Philips Arena when they clash against the Minnesota Timberwolves (32-20). Minnesota is a 6-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 215.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 29, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Minnesota Timberwolves at Atlanta Hawks Odds Preview
The Timberwolves were victorious over the Brooklyn Nets in their last game, 111-97. With 16 points and 19 rebounds, Karl-Anthony Towns had a good outing for Minnesota. Minnesota dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 5.3 (better than their season average of 11.0) and a free throw rate of 0.242 (above their season average of 0.229). For those same stats, Brooklyn put up marks of 14.5 and 0.146, respectively.
In the Hawks last game, they were topped by the Washington Wizards, 129-104. Tyler Dorsey was Atlanta’s leading scorer with 14 points on 3-for-6 shooting. Washington was lights out from beyond the arc (18-32; 56.3 percent). Atlanta, on the other hand, did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (16-21; 76.2 percent).
It could be a sloppy game for the Atlanta offense. Atlanta ranks 28th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.1 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Minnesota forces the second-most turnovers in the NBA (15.7 percent). Also, the Timberwolves third-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 111.6) will attempt to take advantage of the Hawks 26th-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 108.8).
Of Minnesota’s 52 games, 27 have finished over the projected point total, while 25 of Atlanta’s 49 games have finished under the O/U total. The Timberwolves have the better straight up (SU) record (32-20 vs. 14-35), but the Hawks have the better against the spread (ATS) record (25-22-2 vs. 25-24-3).
Andrew Wiggins has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Minnesota, averaging 23.8 points per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Timberwolves won both contests played against each other last season. In the most recent game, Minnesota won 104-90. The Timberwolves played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.5 and a free throw rate of 0.183. The Hawks were 17.4 and 0.145, respectively, for those same stats.
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Atlanta Hawks Free Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Timberwolves, ATS Winner – Timberwolves, O/U – Over
- The Hawks rank fifth in assists per game (23.7) while the Timberwolves rank 23rd in assists allowed per game (24.1).
- Minnesota averages 18.6 points off turnovers per game, which ranks third in the NBA. Atlanta ranks 19th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.3).
- Minnesota ranks 10th in blocks allowed per game (4.6) while Atlanta ranks 27th (5.4).
- Atlanta averages 9.8 fast break points per game, which ranks 21st in the NBA. Minnesota ranks 24th in fast break points allowed per game (13.2).
- Minnesota is 12-12-2 ATS on the road with 14 overs and 12 unders.
- Atlanta is 13-12 ATS at home with 12 overs, 12 unders and 1 push.
- Atlanta is 7-3 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Minnesota is 15-4.
- The Timberwolves are 30-11 when they reach the century mark, while the Hawks are 13-20.
- The Hawks rank 12th in three pointers attempted per game (29.5) while the Timberwolves rank 29th (22.3).
- Minnesota ranks first in steals allowed per game (6.4) while Atlanta ranks 25th (8.5).
- The Timberwolves rank second in second chance points per game (14.6) while the Hawks rank 24th in second chance points allowed per game (13.3).
- The Timberwolves rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.2) while the Hawks rank 19th (43.7).
- Minnesota ranks fifth in points in the paint per game (48.2) while Atlanta ranks 26th (40.7).
- Atlanta is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Minnesota is 3-1-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.6, up from 4.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 115.8 points per game (6.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 114.6 points per game (8.7 above their season average).