The Los Angeles Clippers (23-22) will be at home in Staples Center when they meet the Minnesota Timberwolves (30-18). Tip-off is set for 10:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 22, 2018, and it can be seen on NBATV.
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Los Angeles Clippers Betting Preview
The Timberwolves beat the Toronto Raptors in their last game, 115-109. With 22 points and 10 rebounds, Minnesota’s Karl-Anthony Towns put together a solid game. Minnesota dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.395 (above their season average of 0.225) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.7 (above their season average of 24.9). For those same stats, Toronto was 0.229 and 21.6, respectively.
In the Clippers last game, they were defeated by the Utah Jazz, 125-113. Lou Williams was the games leading scorer with 31 points on 9-for-21 shooting. Utah had an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.9 (above their season average of 19.8). Los Angeles, meanwhile, forced the Jazz into a turnover percentage of 17.2 (above their season average of 13.2).
Los Angeles figures to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Clippers rank ninth in offensive efficiency, while the Timberwolves rank 21st in defensive efficiency. Furthermore, the Timberwolves could control the offensive glass in this battle as they rank fourth in the NBA in offensive rebounding percentage at 25.1 percent. The Clippers, meanwhile, rank 28th at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 75.5 percent.
Of Minnesota’s 48 games, 24 have finished over the O/U total, while 25 of Los Angeles 45 games have finished over the O/U total. The Timberwolves hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (30-18 vs. 23-22), but the Clippers have been superior against the spread (ATS) (25-19-1 vs. 23-23-2).
Williams has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Los Angeles, averaging 30.8 points, 5.8 assists and 1.4 steals per game.
These two teams have already met twice this year, with the Timberwolves winning both. DeAndre Jordan recorded 18 points and 21 rebounds in the most recent game, in which the Clippers lost 113-107, unable to cover as 5-point underdogs. The two teams combined for 220 points, which was 9.5 points above the projected point total of 210.5 points. Minnesota’s 0.195 free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Los Angeles, who had a mark of 0.091.
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Los Angeles Clippers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Clippers, ATS Winner – Clippers, O/U – Over
- The Timberwolves rank third in second chance points per game (14.4) while the Clippers rank 21st in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- Los Angeles ranks 11th in fast break points per game (12.5) while Minnesota ranks 23rd in fast break points allowed per game (12.4).
- Los Angeles ranks 13th in three pointers attempted per game (29.2) while Minnesota ranks 28th (22.5).
- On the road, Minnesota is 11-11-1 ATS with 12 unders and 11 overs.
- At home, Los Angeles is 13-10 ATS with 13 overs, 9 unders and 1 push.
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Minnesota is 14-4 and Los Angeles is 10-2.
- The Timberwolves are 28-9 when they reach the century mark, while the Clippers are 21-15.
- The Clippers rank fourth in points in the paint per game (48.5) while the Timberwolves rank 19th in points allowed in the paint per game (45.1).
- Minnesota ranks first in steals allowed per game (6.5) while Los Angeles ranks 25th (8.5).
- The Timberwolves rank second in points off turnovers per game (18.7) while the Clippers rank 22nd in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.6).
- The Timberwolves rank 11th in assists per game (22.7) while the Clippers rank 21st in assists allowed per game (23.7).
- Minnesota ranks fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.1) while Los Angeles ranks 23rd (44.1).
- Los Angeles is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Minnesota is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Clippers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.2, up from 0.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 110.6 points per game (2.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 108.8 points per game (3.7 above their season average).