The No. 4 Michigan State Spartans (16-2, 4-1 Big 10) will try to extend a 12-game home winning streak when they welcome the Michigan Wolverines (14-4, 3-2 Big 10) to Jack Breslin Student Events Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018.
Michigan Wolverines vs. Michigan State Spartans ATS Preview
In the Wolverines last matchup, they lost a tough one against the No. 5 Purdue Boilermakers, 70-69. With 15 points on 6-for-10 shooting, Xavier Simpson led Michigan in scoring. Purdue had a better effective field goal percentage (0.579 vs. 0.534). Michigan, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.121 vs. 0.070).
The Spartans hope to maintain momentum after topping the Rutgers Scarlet Knights in their last matchup, 76-72. Michigan State rallied around Nick Ward, who was the teams leading scorer with 17 points on 5-for-9 shooting. The Spartans knocked down 25 of their 34 free throws (73.5 percent) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.500 vs. 0.440).
This showdown pits one of the nations top offenses against one of its elite defenses as Michigan State ranks fifth in offensive efficiency and Michigan is 24th in defensive efficiency. Also, the Wolverines rank 13th in turnover percentage (15.2 percent), while the Spartans rank 288th in opponents turnover percentage (17.2 percent).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after splitting two games last season. The Wolverines won the last game 86-57. The Wolverines dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.9 and a free throw rate of 0.226. For those same stats, the Spartans were 28.8 and 0.125, respectively.
Michigan Wolverines vs. Michigan State Spartans Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan, ATS Winner – Michigan, O/U – Over
- The Spartans rank first in blocks per game (8.0) while the Wolverines rank 103rd (3.3).
- Michigan State ranks first in assists per game (21.7) while Michigan ranks 49th (15.9).
- Michigan State ranks fourth in rebounds per game (43.0) while Michigan ranks 206th (33.9).
- The Wolverines rank seventh in three pointers allowed per game (16.1) while the Spartans rank 152nd (22.6).
- Michigan ranks fourth in steals allowed per game (4.3) while Michigan State ranks 113th (6.7).
- The Spartans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 24.8, up from 22.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wolverines have scored an average of 79.2 points per game (2.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 61.0 points per game (1.1 below their season average).