The Iowa Hawkeyes (8-4, 0-2 Big 10) and the Michigan Wolverines (11-3, 1-1 Big 10) battle at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. The Hawkeyes will try to lengthen their five-game winning streak. Michigan opened as a 2-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 139.5 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
Michigan Wolverines vs. Iowa Hawkeyes Betting Preview
In the Wolverines last outing, they dismantled the Jacksonville Dolphins, 76-51. With 18 points and seven rebounds, Michigan’s Charles Matthews had a good outing. Michigan dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 26.7) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.636 (above their season average of 0.563). Jacksonville was 17.5 and 0.390, respectively, for those same stats.
The Hawkeyes come in on a high note after thoroughly outplaying the Northern Illinois Huskies in their last contest, 98-75. With 25 points on 8-for-8 shooting, Luka Garza was the games high scorer. Iowa played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.226 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 10.1 (better than their season average of 16.8). Northern Illinois recorded marks of 0.101 and 14.1, respectively, for those same stats.
The game should be a matchup of strength against strength as the productive offense of Iowa (48th in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 114.5) takes on the stingy defense of Michigan (28th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 91.8). Moreover, the Wolverines rank 12th in turnover percentage (15.0 percent), while the Hawkeyes rank 269th in opponents turnover percentage (17.8 percent).
Of Michigan’s 14 games, nine have finished under the O/U total, while 6 of Iowa’s 11 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Wolverines have a clear advantage. They are 11-3 SU and 8-6 ATS, while the Hawkeyes are 8-4 SU and 5-4-2 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Hawkeyes won the lone contest played against each other last season, 86-83. The Hawkeyes played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.130 and a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 35.9. For those same stats, the Wolverines had marks of 0.041 and 33.3, respectively.
Michigan Wolverines vs. Iowa Hawkeyes ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan, ATS Winner – Michigan, O/U – Under
- The Wolverines rank 15th in assists allowed per game (10.1) while the Hawkeyes rank 122nd (13.4).
- Iowa ranks 22nd in blocks per game (5.7) while Michigan ranks 103rd (3.4).
- On the road, Michigan is 4-3 ATS with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- Iowa is 2-0-1 ATS at home with 2 unders and 1 over.
- Iowa ranks seventh in rebounds per game (43.2) while Michigan ranks 204th (33.9).
- The Wolverines rank eighth in three pointers allowed per game (15.9) while the Hawkeyes rank 169th (23.0).
- Michigan ranks fourth in steals allowed per game (4.1) while Iowa ranks 159th (7.6).
- Iowa is 4-0 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Michigan is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Hawkeyes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 23.0, up from 12.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wolverines have scored an average of 74.4 points per game (1.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 58.0 points per game (2.9 below their season average).