An eight-game home winning streak is on the line for the Maryland Terrapins (15-7, 4-5 Big 10) when they challenge the No. 9 Michigan State Spartans (19-3, 7-2 Big 10) at Xfinity Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 144.5 points with Michigan State set as a 5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 28, 2018.
Michigan State Spartans at Maryland Terrapins Free Preview
The last time the Spartans played, they beat the Wisconsin Badgers, 76-61. With 12 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks, Nick Ward had a solid outing for Michigan State. Michigan State played a nearly perfect game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.574 (below their season average of 0.598) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 40.7 (above their season average of 38.3). Wisconsin was 0.405 and 32.4, respectively, for those same stats.
The Terrapins are trying to rebound after their 71-68 loss to the Indiana Hoosiers in their last game. With 16 points, 11 rebounds and five assists, Kevin Huerter put together a solid outing for Maryland. Indiana forced the Terrapins into a turnover percentage of 22.1 (above their season average of 18.6). Maryland, on the other hand, held the Hoosiers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 12.5 (below their season average of 33.6).
Points could be at a premium in this showdown between two of the nations top defenses. Maryland ranks 59th in defensive efficiency (97.3) and Michigan State is eighth (91.7). Furthermore, the Spartans are among the NCAA’s elite at getting to the line, ranking 57th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.278). The Terrapins, meanwhile, rank fifth in opponents FTA rate (0.155).
Of Michigan State’s 20 games that accepted bets, 11 have finished over the projected point total, while 8 of Maryland’s 16 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Spartans have a clear advantage. They are 19-3 SU and 13-9 ATS, while the Terrapins are 15-7 SU and 10-7-1 ATS.
Jaren Jackson Jr. has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Michigan State, averaging 15.4 points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.6 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 152 points, which was over the projected point total of 141. The Spartans won 91-61, covering as 15-point favorites. The Spartans played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.1 and an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.714. The Terrapins recorded marks of 16.8 and 0.453, respectively, for those same stats. In the loss, Anthony Cowan Jr. led all scorers with 26 points.
Michigan State Spartans at Maryland Terrapins Odds Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Michigan State, O/U – Under
- Michigan State is 4-4 ATS on the road, while Maryland is 7-2-1 ATS at home.
- The Spartans have 5 unders and 3 overs in 8 road games.
- The Terrapins have 4 overs and 4 unders in 10 home games.
- Michigan State ranks first in assists per game (20.9) while Maryland ranks 106th (14.6).
- The Spartans average 8.0 blocks per game, which ranks first in the NCAA. The Terrapins rank 103rd in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Michigan State ranks fourth in rebounds per game (42.0) while Maryland ranks 54th (38.5).
- Maryland is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Michigan State is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push.
- The Terrapins average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.6, down from 9.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 79.2 points per game (5.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.2 points per game (5.2 above their season average).