The No. 1 Michigan State Spartans (14-1, 3-0 Big 10) travel to Value City Arena to go head-to-head with the Ohio State Buckeyes (12-4, 3-0 Big 10). The Spartans will attempt to lengthen their 13-game winning streak. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 143 points with Michigan State set as an 8.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 12 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018.
Michigan State Spartans vs. Ohio State Buckeyes ATS Preview
The last time the Spartans played, they easily got past the Maryland Terrapins, 91-61. With 15 points, seven assists and six rebounds, Michigan State’s Miles Bridges played well. Michigan State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.1 (better than their season average of 16.9) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.714 (above their season average of 0.604). For those same stats, Maryland was 16.8 and 0.453, respectively.
The Buckeyes will look to keep it rolling after topping the Iowa Hawkeyes in their last game, 92-81. With 27 points on 10-for-17 shooting, Keita Bates-Diop was the games leading scorer. The Buckeyes held the Hawkeyes to an effective field goal percentage of 0.478 (below their season average of 0.553) and had a turnover percentage of 10.6 (better than their season average of 16.7).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, this will be a matchup of two heavyweights. The sweet-shooting Ohio State offense ranks 57th in the NCAA in that metric at 0.550, while the stingy Michigan State defense is ranked first in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.391). Additionally, the Spartans, who rank second in offensive rebounding percentage (40.2 percent), will clash against the Buckeyes, who rank 58th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.6 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Michigan State games have finished over 57.1 percent of the time, while games involving Ohio State have finished under 71.4 percent of the time. The Spartans hold a sizable advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 14-1 SU and 11-5 ATS, while the Buckeyes are 12-4 SU and 6-8 ATS.
Bridges has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Michigan State, averaging 20.8 points, 11.0 rebounds and 5.0 assists per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after splitting two games last season. The Spartans won the last contest 74-66. The Spartans played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.269 and a great effective field goal percentage of 0.577. The Buckeyes were 0.150 and 0.475, respectively, for those same stats.
Michigan State Spartans at Ohio State Buckeyes Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Michigan State, O/U – Under
- The Spartans rank 145th in three pointers attempted per game (21.6) while the Buckeyes rank 222nd in three pointers allowed per game (24.9).
- Ohio State ranks 36th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while Michigan State ranks 107th (6.5).
- Michigan State is 3-3 ATS on the road with 4 unders and 2 overs.
- Ohio State is 3-5 ATS at home with 7 unders and 1 over.
- Michigan State ranks fourth in rebounds per game (43.7) while Ohio State ranks 111th (37.0).
- The Spartans rank first in assists per game (22.7) while the Buckeyes rank 90th (15.0).
- Michigan State ranks first in blocks per game (8.6) while Ohio State ranks 84th (3.8).
- Ohio State is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Michigan State is 5-0 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Buckeyes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.4, down from 10.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 103.8 points per game (15.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 59.2 points per game (1.4 below their season average).