The No. 2 Michigan State Spartans (24-3, 12-2 Big 10) look to prolong their eight-game winning streak against the faltering Minnesota Golden Gophers (14-13, 3-11 Big 10) at Williams Arena. Michigan State is a 10.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 151 points. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 13, 2018.
Michigan State Spartans at Minnesota Golden Gophers Odds Preview
In the Spartans last outing, they edged the No. 3 Purdue Boilermakers, 68-65. With 10 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds, Cassius Winston put together a solid game for Michigan State. Michigan State’s 0.533 effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Purdue, who had a rate of 0.453. The Spartans mark was below their season average of 0.591, while the Boilermakers’ was below their season average of 0.586.
The Golden Gophers are hoping for a better outcome after their 80-56 loss to the Indiana Hoosiers in their last matchup. Nate Mason was Minnesota’s high scorer with 18 points on 6-for-20 shooting. Indiana had an effective field goal percentage of 0.623 (above their season average of 0.501). Minnesota, meanwhile, held the Hoosiers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.2 (below their season average of 32.6).
Minnesota should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Minnesota ranks 18th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 15.6 percent), while Michigan State forces the 13th-fewest turnovers (15.5 percent). Furthermore, the Spartans could have their way on defense. They rank second in the nation with an effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.421, while the offense of the Golden Gophers ranks 262nd in effective field goal percentage (0.493).
Of Michigan State’s 25 games that accepted bets, 13 have finished over the O/U total, while 14 of Minnesota’s 26 games have finished over the O/U total. The Spartans come into this game with a clear advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 24-3 SU and 13-13-1 ATS, while the Golden Gophers are 14-13 SU and 10-16 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Spartans won two out of three contests last season. In the last game, Minnesota won 63-58. The Golden Gophers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.333 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.451. For those same stats, the Spartans put up marks of 0.241 and 0.379, respectively.
Michigan State Spartans vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers Odds Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Michigan State, O/U – Over
- The Golden Gophers rank 185th in steals per game (5.4) while the Spartans rank 245th (4.3).
- Michigan State ranks 216th in three pointers attempted per game (20.1) while Minnesota ranks 228th (19.6).
- Michigan State is 4-6-1 ATS on the road with 7 unders and 4 overs.
- At home, Minnesota is 5-9 ATS with 8 overs and 6 unders.
- Michigan State averages 41.1 rebounds per game, which ranks eighth in the nation. Minnesota ranks 241st in rebounds allowed per game (37.7).
- The Spartans average 20.2 assists per game, which ranks first in the nation. The Golden Gophers rank 234th in assists allowed per game (15.5).
- Michigan State averages 7.9 blocks per game, which ranks first in the NCAA. Minnesota ranks 189th in blocks allowed per game (4.8).
- Minnesota is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Michigan State is 0-4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Golden Gophers have been outscored by an average of 11.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Minnesota has defeated opponents by an average of 2.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 75.4 points per game (7.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.8 points per game (5.5 above their season average).