The No. 4 Michigan State Spartans (22-3, 10-2 Big 10) will attempt to prolong their six-game winning streak against the Iowa Hawkeyes (12-13, 3-9 Big 10) at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 154.5 points with Michigan State set as an 11-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 6, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Michigan State Spartans at Iowa Hawkeyes Betting Preview
In the Spartans last outing, they won a close one over the Indiana Hoosiers, 63-60. With 10 points and seven blocks, Jaren Jackson Jr. put together a solid game for Michigan State. Michigan State’s effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Indiana. The Spartans had a rate of 0.585 (below their season average of 0.589), while the Hoosiers posted a mark of 0.318 (below their season average of 0.509).
The Hawkeyes are hoping for a better outcome after their 82-58 loss to the Penn State Nittany Lions in their last outing. Tyler Cook led Iowa in scoring with 19 points on 8-for-12 shooting. Penn State had an effective field goal percentage of 0.586 (above their season average of 0.525). Iowa, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.273 (above their season average of 0.245).
The game should be a battle of strength against strength as the productive offense of Iowa takes on the elite defense of Michigan State. The Hawkeyes rank 46th in offensive efficiency, while the Spartans are eighth in defensive efficiency. Moreover, the Spartans rank 50th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.281), while the Hawkeyes rank 45th in opponents FTA rate (0.192).
Of Michigan State’s 23 games with betting action, 12 have finished over the projected point total, while 14 of Iowa’s 21 games have finished over the O/U total. The Spartans come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 22-3 SU and 13-11-1 ATS, while the Hawkeyes are 12-13 SU and 8-11-2 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Spartans won the lone game played against each other last season, 77-66. Michigan State’s effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Iowa. The Spartans had a rate of 0.558 while the Hawkeyes posted a mark of 0.359.
Michigan State Spartans vs. Iowa Hawkeyes Betting Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Iowa, O/U – Over
- On the road, Michigan State is 4-5-1 ATS with 7 unders and 3 overs.
- At home, Iowa is 4-3-1 ATS with 5 overs and 3 unders.
- Michigan State averages 20.2 assists per game, which ranks first in the NCAA. Iowa ranks 242nd in assists allowed per game (15.6).
- The Spartans average 41.6 rebounds per game, which ranks sixth in the nation. The Hawkeyes rank 103rd in rebounds allowed per game (33.8).
- Michigan State ranks first in blocks per game (8.2) while Iowa ranks 65th in blocks allowed per game (2.9).
- Iowa is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Michigan State is 1-3-1 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push.
- The Hawkeyes have been outscored by an average of 5.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Iowa has defeated opponents by an average of 2.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 75.2 points per game (8.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.2 points per game (2.0 above their season average).