The Illinois Fighting Illini (10-10, 0-7 Big 10) and the No. 9 Michigan State Spartans (17-3, 5-2 Big 10) go head-to-head at State Farm Center. The Fighting Illini look to put an end to their five-game losing streak. Michigan State is an 11-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 143.5 points. Action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Monday, January 22, 2018.
Michigan State Spartans vs. Illinois Fighting Illini Free Preview
The Spartans easily got past the Indiana Hoosiers in their last outing, 85-57. With 18 points and 13 rebounds, Nick Ward put together a solid game for Michigan State. Michigan State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 38.7 (above their season average of 37.8) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.627 (above their season average of 0.591). For those same stats, Indiana put up marks of 19.5 and 0.407, respectively.
In the Fighting Illini’s last game, they were blown out by the Wisconsin Badgers, 75-50. With nine points and 10 rebounds, Mark Alstork had a good outing for Illinois. Wisconsin did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (16-21; 76.2 percent). Illinois, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 45.7 (above their season average of 37.8).
The offense of Illinois will go head-to-head against the stingy defense of Michigan State. The Fighting Illini rank 152nd in offensive efficiency, while the Spartans are ninth in defensive efficiency. The Spartans should have the advantage on that end of the court. Moreover, the Spartans rank sixth in offensive rebounding percentage (37.8 percent), while the Fighting Illini rank 253rd in defensive rebounding percentage (69.5 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Michigan State games have gone over 55.6 percent of the time, while games involving Illinois have gone under 68.8 percent of the time. The Spartans hold a significant advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 17-3 SU and 12-8 ATS, while the Fighting Illini are 10-10 SU and 8-8 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Fighting Illini won the lone game last season, 73-70. The Fighting Illini’s 9.6 turnover percentage was their largest advantage over the Spartans, who had a rate of 20.4.
Michigan State Spartans at Illinois Fighting Illini Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Michigan State, O/U – Under
- The Fighting Illini rank 31st in three pointers allowed per game (18.6) while the Spartans rank 154th (22.4).
- Michigan State ranks third in rebounds per game (42.5) while Illinois ranks 101st (37.0).
- Michigan State is 3-4 ATS on the road, while Illinois is 4-3 ATS at home.
- Of the Spartans 7 road games, they have 5 unders and 2 overs.
- The Fighting Illini have 4 unders and 3 overs in 7 home games.
- Michigan State ranks first in blocks per game (8.0) while Illinois ranks 190th (2.2).
- The Fighting Illini rank 42nd in steals per game (7.5) while the Spartans rank 210th (4.5).
- Michigan State ranks first in assists per game (21.3) while Illinois ranks 125th (14.1).
- Illinois is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Michigan State is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Fighting Illini have been outscored by an average of 10.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Illinois has defeated opponents by an average of 5.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 77.6 points per game (7.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.4 points per game (6.8 above their season average).