The Northern Illinois Huskies (10-12, 3-6 MAC) can lengthen a five-game home winning streak when they take on the Miami (OH) RedHawks (12-10, 5-4 MAC) at Convocation Center. Action starts at 4:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018.
Miami (OH) RedHawks vs. Northern Illinois Huskies Odds Preview
The last time the RedHawks played, they defeated the Akron Zips, 79-64. With 12 points and 11 assists, Miami (OH)’s Darrian Ringo had a good outing. Miami (OH) dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 8.4 (better than their season average of 17.7) and a free throw rate of 0.224 (above their season average of 0.183). For those same stats, Akron was 13.6 and 0.153, respectively.
The Huskies are hoping for a better outcome after their 81-67 loss to the Central Michigan Chippewas in their last contest. Eugene German was Northern Illinois leading scorer with 21 points on 9-for-17 shooting. Central Michigan forced the Huskies into a turnover percentage of 19.0 (above their season average of 15.0). Northern Illinois, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.130 vs. 0.121).
Miami (OH) could struggle to create turnovers. Northern Illinois ranks 77th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 17.3 percent), while Miami (OH) forces the 90th-fewest turnovers (17.8 percent). Also, the RedHawks rank 334th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.185), while the Huskies rank 60th in opponents FTA rate (0.199).
Dante Thorpe has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Northern Illinois, averaging 11.4 points per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Huskies won the last matchup 62-58. The Huskies played a nearly flawless game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.354 and a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 43.3. The RedHawks recorded marks of 0.158 and 32.4, respectively, for those same stats.
Miami (OH) RedHawks at Northern Illinois Huskies Odds Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Northern Illinois, ATS Winner – Northern Illinois, O/U – Under
- The RedHawks average 37.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 66th in the NCAA. The Huskies rank 150th in rebounds allowed per game (35.0).
- Miami (OH) ranks 54th in three pointers attempted per game (25.1) while Northern Illinois ranks 281st (16.4).
- The RedHawks rank 115th in assists per game (14.3) while the Huskies rank 260th (10.0).
- Northern Illinois ranks 15th in steals allowed per game (4.8) while Miami (OH) ranks 139th (6.6).
- The Huskies have been outscored by an average of 6.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Northern Illinois has scored an equal number of points as their opponents.
- During their last five games, the RedHawks have scored an average of 67.6 points per game (3.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.4 points per game (5.6 below their season average).