Southeast Division foes will collide when the Orlando Magic (12-24) square off with the Miami Heat (18-17) at Amway Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 205 points with Miami opening as a 1-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Florida.
Miami Heat vs. Orlando Magic Betting Preview
In the Heat’s last matchup, they got blown out by the Brooklyn Nets, 111-87. Miami’s Hassan Whiteside put together a solid performance, contributing 17 points and eight rebounds. Brooklyn made 11 of their 26 three pointers (42.3 percent). Miami, meanwhile, forced the Nets into a turnover percentage of 16.7 (above their season average of 13.2).
The Magic will look to keep it rolling after beating the Detroit Pistons in their last contest, 102-89. Orlando was lifted by Elfrid Payton, who led the team in scoring with 19 points on 6-for-12 shooting. Orlando played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.207 (above their season average of 0.178) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.518 (above their season average of 0.518). Detroit recorded marks of 0.114 and 0.449, respectively, for those same stats.
It will be a battle of opposite paces as the up-tempo Magic (ranked seventh in the NBA in possessions per game) will look to push the more grind-it-out Heat (24th in possessions per game).
Of Miami’s 34 games with betting action, 21 have finished under the O/U total, while 19 of Orlando’s 36 games have finished under the O/U total. The Heat hold a significant advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 18-17 SU and 14-18-2 ATS, while the Magic are 12-24 SU and 13-22-1 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Heat, it’s been Josh Richardson, who has averaged 20.2 points, 4.2 assists and 1.4 steals, while the Magic have gotten great contributions from Payton (19.2 points, 7.4 assists and 1.2 steals).
These two teams have met twice already this year, each winning once. Payton put up 19 points, eight rebounds and six assists in the most recent matchup, in which the Magic lost 107-89, unable to cover as 9-point underdogs. The two teams combined to score 196 points, which was 9.5 points below the projected point total of 205.5 points. The Heat dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 and a turnover percentage of 13.2. The Magic were 21.3 and 15.8, respectively, for those same stats.
Miami Heat vs. Orlando Magic Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Heat, ATS Winner – Heat, O/U – Under
- The Magic rank 12th in points in the paint per game (45.1) while the Heat rank 26th (40.1).
- Miami averages 7.5 steals per game, which ranks 19th in the NBA. Orlando ranks 22nd in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Miami ranks ninth in blocks per game (4.9) while Orlando ranks 18th in blocks allowed per game (4.9).
- Orlando ranks 26th in second chance points per game (10.1) while Miami ranks 29th (9.4).
- Miami is 10-8 ATS on the road, while Orlando is 5-11 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 10 of the Magic’s 16 home games, while 12 of the Heat’s 18 road games have gone under.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Miami is 13-3 and Orlando is 6-2.
- The Heat are 13-6 when they reach 100 points, while the Magic are 12-12.
- The Heat rank second in three pointers allowed per game (25.2) while the Magic rank ninth (26.9).
- Miami ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (20.4) while Orlando ranks 28th (24.9).
- The Heat rank third in fast break points allowed per game (8.9) while the Magic rank 22nd (12.4).
- The Heat rank 19th in points off turnovers per game (15.7) while the Magic rank 22nd in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.0).
- Miami ranks 12th in rebounds allowed per game (42.5) while Orlando ranks last (46.6).
- Orlando is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Miami is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Magic’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 12.8, up from 5.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Heat have scored an average of 98.2 points per game (1.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 99.8 points per game (2.1 below their season average).