Don’t expect a fast-paced game when the Miami Heat (3-5) travel to Detroit to take on the Pistons (4-4). The game starts at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, November 5, 2018, and will air on Fox Sports – Seattle.
Miami Heat at Detroit Pistons Betting Odds
Both teams lost in their last contest. The Heat (5.5-point favorites) were defeated by the Atlanta Hawks, 123-118, while the Pistons (7.5-point underdogs) fell to the Philadelphia 76ers, 109-99. The Miami game went 15.5 points over the projected point total of 225.5, while the Detroit game went 13 points under the projected point total of 221.
Miami had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (30.2 vs. 22.2) while Detroit held Philadelphia to an offensive rebounding percentage of 7.5 (below their season average of 23.7). Blake Griffin had a solid performance for Detroit, putting up 38 points, 13 rebounds and six assists. Miami, meanwhile, was lifted by Josh Richardson, who finished with 32 points.
This was a highly contested series last year, as the teams split their four games last season. The Heat won the most recent contest 105-96. One of Miami’s largest strengths was getting to the free throw line. They had 28 free throw attempts, while Detroit had 21.
Vegas has a tendency to set the total low when the Heat are playing, as six of their eight games have finished over the total. Miami heads into the contest with records of 3-5 straight up (SU) and 3-5 against the spread (ATS).
There does not appear to be a trend for Pistons games in regards to the total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Moreover, Detroit owns records of 4-4 SU and 3-5 ATS.
Half-court execution will be at a premium when a pair of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Detroit ranks 28th in possessions per game (99.0) and Miami is 29th (99.0) dating back to the 2017-18 season. Moreover, the Heat, who rank 21st in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.180), will face off against the Pistons, who rank fourth in opponents’ FTA rate (0.179).
Miami Heat vs. Detroit Pistons Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Heat, ATS Winner – Heat, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2017-Present):
- Miami ranks third in assists allowed per game (21.4) while Detroit ranks 22nd (25.2).
- The Pistons rank third in second chance points allowed per game (11.2) while the Heat rank 12th (12.3).
- Detroit ranks first in fast break points allowed per game (9.9) while Miami ranks fourth (11.1).
- The Heat rank 10th in blocks per game (5.5) while the Pistons rank 25th (3.9).
- Miami ranks third in three pointers allowed per game (27.2) while Detroit ranks 16th (30.8).
- Detroit is 22-6 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Miami is 28-6.
- The Heat are 36-26 when they score more than 100 points, while the Pistons are 39-21.