Southeast Division foes will clash when the Charlotte Hornets (10-17) take on the Miami Heat (13-14) at Spectrum Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 204.5 points with Charlotte set as a 5.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 15, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Sun.
Miami Heat at Charlotte Hornets Betting Preview
The Heat fell to the Portland Trail Blazers in their last matchup, 102-95. With 24 points on 8-for-11 shooting, Wayne Ellington was Miami’s high scorer. Portland did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (20-23; 87.0 percent). Miami, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.3 (above their season average of 18.4).
In the Hornets last matchup, they were defeated by the Houston Rockets, 108-96. Dwight Howard was Charlotte’s high scorer with 26 points on 9-for-20 shooting. Houston held the Hornets to an effective field goal percentage of 0.437 (below their season average of 0.492). Charlotte, meanwhile, held the Rockets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 12.0 (below their season average of 21.9).
The physical Charlotte offense seems poised to dominate from the charity stripe. The Hornets currently rank first in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.237, while Miami ranks 26th in FTA rate allowed (0.222). Moreover, the Heat rank 29th in offensive rebounding percentage (18.7 percent), while the Hornets rank second in defensive rebounding percentage (81.4 percent).
Of Miami’s 27 games, 16 have finished under the O/U total, while 14 of Charlotte’s 27 games have finished under the projected point total. The Heat have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (13-14 vs. 10-17), but the Hornets have the better against the spread (ATS) record (11-14-2 vs. 10-15-2).Howard has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Charlotte, averaging 19.0 points, 11.0 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 205 points in that game, hitting the projected point total. The Heat won 105-100, covering as 2-point favorites. Miami made 14 of its 35 three pointers (40.0 percent). Charlotte, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of making free throws (19-21; 90.5 percent). In the victory, Josh Richardson led all scorers with 27 points.
Miami Heat at Charlotte Hornets ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Heat, ATS Winner – Heat, O/U – Under
- The Hornets rank fourth in steals allowed per game (6.9) while the Heat rank 22nd (8.2).
- Charlotte ranks 14th in points in the paint per game (43.6) while Miami ranks 25th (40.3).
- Charlotte ranks 11th in second chance points per game (12.8) while Miami ranks 29th (9.3).
- Miami ranks 12th in blocks per game (4.9) while Charlotte ranks 17th in blocks allowed per game (4.9).
- Miami is 8-7 ATS on the road with 10 unders, 4 overs and 1 push.
- At home, Charlotte is 8-6 ATS with 8 unders and 6 overs.
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Miami is 9-3 and Charlotte is 5-1.
- The Heat are 10-5 when they score over 100 points, while the Hornets are 10-7.
- The Heat rank third in assists allowed per game (19.9) while the Hornets rank 17th (22.8).
- Miami ranks first in three pointers allowed per game (24.7) while Charlotte ranks 25th (31.5).
- The Hornets rank second in rebounds per game (47.1) while the Heat rank 25th (41.1).
- The Hornets rank 18th in fast break points per game (9.7) while the Heat rank 27th (7.4).
- Charlotte ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.3) while Miami ranks 20th (17.7).
- Charlotte is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Miami is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Hornets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.4, up from 2.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Heat have scored an average of 100.6 points per game (0.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 102.6 points per game (0.1 below their season average).