The Brooklyn Nets (16-29) can put an end to a five-game home losing streak when they meet the Miami Heat (26-18) at Barclays Center. Miami is a 3-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 206.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, January 19, 2018, and it can be seen on YES Network.
Miami Heat at Brooklyn Nets Betting Preview
The Heat were victorious over the Milwaukee Bucks in their last game, 106-101. Hassan Whiteside was the top scorer from either team with 27 points on 10-for-12 shooting. The Heat held the Bucks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.6 (below the 20.6 mark opponents have averaged against Miami this season) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.524 vs. 0.507).
In the Nets last game, they were beaten by the San Antonio Spurs, 100-95. Allen Crabbe led Brooklyn in scoring with 20 points on 7-for-12 shooting. San Antonio did a fantastic job of making free throws (23-31; 74.2 percent). Brooklyn, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.500 vs. 0.470).
Conflicting styles will be on display in this showdown. Brooklyn prefers to play fast (third in possessions per game), while Miami likes to grind-it-out (27th in possessions per game).
Of Miami’s 44 games, 24 have finished under the O/U total, while 24 of Brooklyn’s 45 games have finished under the projected point total. The Heat have the superior straight up (SU) record (26-18 vs. 16-29), but the Nets hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (27-17-1 vs. 20-22-2).
Goran Dragic has been excellent over the last five games for Miami, averaging 21.4 points, 6.0 assists and 5.2 rebounds per game.
These two teams have already met twice this year, each winning once. In the most recent contest, Caris LeVert recorded 12 points, 11 assists and five rebounds and the Nets defeated the Heat 111-87, covering as 6-point underdogs. The two teams combined to put up 198 points, which was 6 points below the projected point total of 204 points. Brooklyn was lights out from beyond the arc (11-26; 42.3 percent). Miami, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (9.7 vs. 16.7).
Miami Heat vs. Brooklyn Nets Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Nets, ATS Winner – Nets, O/U – Under
- The Nets rank 14th in points in the paint per game (43.7) while the Heat rank 26th (41.2).
- Brooklyn ranks second in three pointers attempted per game (34.2) while Miami ranks seventh (31.2).
- Brooklyn ranks 17th in fast break points per game (10.5) while Miami ranks 28th (7.5).
- Miami ranks 24th in points off turnovers per game (15.1) while Brooklyn ranks 25th (15.0).
- On the road, Miami is 14-9 ATS with 13 unders, 9 overs and 1 push.
- Brooklyn is 12-9-1 ATS at home with 12 unders and 10 overs.
- Brooklyn is 10-1 when they allow less than 100 points, while Miami is 15-3.
- The Heat are 19-7 when they score more than 100 points, while the Nets are 12-20.
- The Heat rank 22nd in steals per game (7.1) while the Nets rank last (6.4).
- Miami ranks seventh in rebounds allowed per game (42.0) while Brooklyn ranks 28th (46.0).
- The Heat average 5.2 blocks per game, which ranks seventh in the league. The Nets rank 27th in blocks allowed per game (5.7).
- The Heat rank third in assists allowed per game (20.0) while the Nets rank eighth (21.4).
- Brooklyn ranks 15th in second chance points per game (12.3) while Miami ranks 28th (9.9).
- Brooklyn is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Miami is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Nets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 11.0, up from 3.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Heat have scored an average of 103.6 points per game (2.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 98.8 points per game (3.0 below their season average).