Southeast Division foes will battle when the Atlanta Hawks (6-23) meet the Miami Heat (15-14) at Philips Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 202.5 points with Miami opening as a 2.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, December 18, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Sun.
Miami Heat at Atlanta Hawks Betting Preview
The Heat defeated the Los Angeles Clippers in their last matchup, 90-85. Josh Richardson was the games leading scorer with 28 points on 10-for-16 shooting. The Heat made 16 of their 21 free throws (76.2 percent) and had a turnover percentage of 8.1 (better than their season average of 14.5). In the Hawks last matchup, they were beaten by the Memphis Grizzlies, 96-94. With 18 points, 11 assists and five rebounds, Atlanta’s Dennis Schroder played well. Memphis had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.3 (above their season average of 19.1). Atlanta, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (14-16; 87.5 percent).
It could be a difficult game for Atlanta on the offensive glass. The Hawks rank 21st in offensive rebounding percentage (21.1 percent), while Miami ranks ninth in defensive rebounding percentage (78.3 percent). It could also be a sloppy game for the offense of the Heat, which ranks 25th in ball security (turnover percentage of 15.5 percent). They’ll be going up against the top-notch defense of the Hawks, which forces the second-most turnovers in the league (16.3 percent).
Of Miami’s 29 games, 18 have finished under the projected point total, while 15 of Atlanta’s 29 games have finished over the O/U total. The Heat hold the clear advantage straight up (SU) (15-14 vs. 6-23), but the Hawks have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (15-13-1 vs. 11-16-2).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 197 points, which was under the projected point total of 204.5. The Heat won 104-93, covering as 11-point favorites. The Heat dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.2 and a turnover percentage of 17.0. The Hawks were 16.2 and 19.2, respectively, for those same stats. Richardson scored a game-high 21 points.
Miami Heat at Atlanta Hawks Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Heat, ATS Winner – Hawks, O/U – Under
- The Hawks rank fifth in steals per game (8.8) while the Heat rank 17th (7.6).
- Atlanta ranks 11th in points off turnovers per game (18.1) while Miami ranks 19th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.4).
- Miami ranks fifth in fast break points allowed per game (8.8) while Atlanta ranks 17th (11.1).
- Neither of these teams are great at rebounding the ball. Miami is 25th in the NBA with 40.9 rebounds per game while Atlanta is 27th with 39.7 rebounds per game.
- On the road, Miami is 9-7 ATS with 11 unders, 4 overs and 1 push.
- At home, Atlanta is 6-7 ATS with 8 overs, 4 unders and 1 push.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Atlanta is 1-3 and Miami is 11-3.
- The Heat are 11-5 when they reach 100 points, while the Hawks are 6-13.
- The Hawks rank 17th in second chance points per game (11.9) while the Heat rank 28th (9.1).
- Miami ranks first in three pointers allowed per game (24.9) while Atlanta ranks 29th (32.3).
- The Heat rank third in assists allowed per game (19.9) while the Hawks rank 29th (26.2).
- The Hawks rank 23rd in points in the paint per game (40.4) while the Heat rank 25th (39.8).
- Miami ranks eighth in blocks per game (5.1) while Atlanta ranks 25th (3.9).
- Atlanta is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Miami is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Hawks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.4, down from 5.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Heat have scored an average of 99.4 points per game (0.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 91.2 points per game (10.8 below their season average).