SoCon foes will collide when the Chattanooga Mocs (9-17, 3-10 SoCon) challenge the Mercer Bears (11-13, 4-7 SoCon) at McKenzie Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
Mercer Bears vs. Chattanooga Mocs Betting Preview
The last time the Bears played, they beat the Wofford Terriers, 73-65. Ross Cummings was Mercer’s high scorer with 22 points on 8-for-10 shooting. The Bears had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 7.3 (better than their season average of 16.7) and held the Terriers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.438 (below their season average of 0.572).
The Mocs hope to keep it rolling after edging the Citadel Bulldogs in their last outing, 85-82. Chattanooga rallied around Rodney Chatman, who contributed 14 points, eight assists and six rebounds. Chattanooga’s 0.676 effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Citadel, who had a rate of 0.491. The Mocs mark was above their season average of 0.514.
Second-chance opportunities might be hard to come by for Chattanooga in this meeting. The Mocs currently rank 282nd in offensive rebounding percentage (25.7 percent), while Mercer ranks 63rd in defensive rebounding percentage (74.3 percent). Additionally, the Bears rank 60th in effective field goal percentage (0.543), while the Mocs rank 288th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.530).
Chatman has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Chattanooga, averaging 16.0 points, 5.4 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 2.0 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Bears won 75-71. Mercer had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (37.5 vs. 14.3). Chattanooga, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (11.3 vs. 21.3). Despite the loss, Chatman was a standout player in the game, putting up 17 points, eight assists and six rebounds.
Mercer Bears at Chattanooga Mocs Free Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Mercer, ATS Winner – Mercer, O/U – Over
- The Mocs average 13.7 assists per game, which ranks 139th in the nation. The Bears rank 189th in assists allowed per game (14.4).
- Chattanooga ranks 31st in three pointers allowed per game (18.9) while Mercer ranks 270th (25.5).
- The Bears rank eighth in rebounds allowed per game (30.0) while the Mocs rank 124th (34.2).
- Mercer averages 6.0 steals per game, which ranks 135th in the NCAA. Chattanooga ranks 199th in steals allowed per game (7.4).
- The Mocs average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.6, up from 2.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bears have scored an average of 72.2 points per game (3.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 76.0 points per game (7.1 above their season average).