The Alabama Crimson Tide (7-3) and the Mercer Bears (6-5) face off at Von Braun Center. Alabama is a 7.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 151 points. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 19, 2017, and it can be seen on SEC Network.
Mercer Bears vs. Alabama Crimson Tide ATS Preview
In the Bears last matchup, they were beaten by the La Salle Explorers, 95-85. Mercer’s Ria’n Holland had a solid game, leading both teams in scoring with 33 points on 10-for-19 shooting. La Salle held the Bears to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.2 (below their season average of 32.0). Mercer, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (12.5 vs. 15.1).
The Crimson Tide are hoping for a better outcome after their 88-82 loss to the Arizona Wildcats in their last outing. With 15 points and 12 rebounds, Alabama’s Donta Hall played well. Arizona held the Crimson Tide to an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.5 (below their season average of 30.0). Alabama, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 9.7 (better than their season average of 18.5).
Alabama should have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Crimson Tide currently rank 57th in effective field goal percentage (0.551), while Mercer ranks 218th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.512).
Of Mercer’s 7 games that accepted bets, five have finished over the O/U total, while 4 of Alabama’s 8 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Crimson Tide have a substantial advantage. They are 7-3 SU and 4-4-1 ATS, while the Bears are 6-5 SU and 2-4-1 ATS.
Mercer Bears vs. Alabama Crimson Tide ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Alabama, ATS Winner – Alabama, O/U – Over
- The Bears rank 10th in steals allowed per game (4.6) while the Crimson Tide rank 87th (6.3).
- Alabama ranks 121st in assists per game (14.0) while Mercer ranks 161st in assists allowed per game (14.5).
- Alabama ranks 50th in three pointers allowed per game (19.3) while Mercer ranks 228th (25.2).
- The Crimson Tide rank 12th in blocks per game (6.0) while the Bears rank 184th (2.0).
- Mercer ranks 12th in rebounds allowed per game (30.0) while Alabama ranks 179th (36.7).
- The Crimson Tide have been outscored by an average of 1.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Alabama has defeated opponents by an average of 7.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Bears have scored an average of 79.6 points per game (0.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.8 points per game (7.3 above their season average).