The Furman Paladins (11-4, 2-0 SoCon) will try to lengthen their five-game home winning streak when they meet the Mercer Bears (7-7, 0-1 SoCon), who look to snap their five-game road losing streak. Tip-off is set for 4:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018.
Mercer Bears vs. Furman Paladins Betting Preview
In the Bears last game, they got blown out by the East Tennessee State Buccaneers, 74-55. Mercer’s Desmond Ringer had a solid game, contributing 10 points and 12 rebounds. East Tennessee State had an effective field goal percentage of 0.667 (above their season average of 0.512). Mercer, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 44.1 (above their season average of 30.6).
The Paladins come in on a high note after dismantling the Citadel Bulldogs in their last game, 107-67. Furman rallied around Devin Sibley, who was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 10-for-16 shooting. Furman played a flawless game. They had an absurd effective field goal percentage of 0.669 (above their season average of 0.541) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.7 (below their season average of 30.4). For those same stats, Citadel recorded marks of 0.460 and 22.7, respectively.
This battle figures to be a high-scoring affair as two of the NCAA’s top offenses face off. Furman ranks 60th with 112.8 points per 100 possessions and Mercer is 32nd (116.5). Additionally, the Bears rank 33rd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.294), while the Paladins rank 37th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.180).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Paladins won both contests last season. In the last game, Furman won 70-68. Furman’s 0.667 effective field goal percentage was its largest strength over Mercer, who had a mark of 0.462.
Mercer Bears at Furman Paladins ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mercer, ATS Winner – Mercer, O/U – Under
- The Paladins rank 23rd in steals per game (8.5) while the Bears rank 125th (6.2).
- Furman ranks 38th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while Mercer ranks 116th (3.9).
- Furman ranks eighth in three pointers attempted per game (30.3) while Mercer ranks 196th in three pointers allowed per game (24.1).
- The Bears rank 10th in rebounds allowed per game (30.0) while the Paladins rank 169th (36.1).
- Furman ranks 35th in assists per game (17.1) while Mercer ranks 177th in assists allowed per game (14.6).
- The Paladins average margin of victory in their last five games has been 25.4, up from 13.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bears have scored an average of 78.0 points per game (1.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.8 points per game (4.9 above their season average).