The Memphis Tigers (9-5, 0-1 AAC) and the UCF Knights (10-4, 1-1 AAC), who both like to play slow, will go head-to-head at CFE Federal Credit Union Arena. UCF is a 9-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 126.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Memphis Tigers at UCF Knights Odds Preview
The Tigers lost big to the No. 21 Cincinnati Bearcats in their last matchup, 82-48. Memphis Kareem Brewton had a solid performance, leading both teams in scoring with 17 points on 6-for-13 shooting. Cincinnati’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Memphis. The Bearcats had a rate of 0.598 (above their season average of 0.534), while the Tigers posted a mark of 0.357 (below their season average of 0.491).
The last time the Knights played, they thoroughly outplayed the East Carolina Pirates, 59-39. With 17 points on 6-for-11 shooting, A.J. Davis was the games high scorer. UCF dominated every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 18.6 (better than their season average of 20.0) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0 (below their season average of 32.9). East Carolina put up marks of 28.5 and 18.2, respectively, for those same stats.
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams battle. UCF currently ranks 305th in possessions per game (67.3) and Memphis is 319th (66.8). Furthermore, the Tigers are among the nations elite at getting to the line, ranking 32nd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.296). The Knights, however, rank 15th at keeping opponents off the charity stripe with an opponents FTA rate of 0.164.
Games including these teams tend to finish under the O/U total. Memphis games have finished under 63.6 percent of the time, while 88.9 percent of UCF games have finished under. The Knights hold a sizable advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 10-4 SU and 7-2 ATS, while the Tigers are 9-5 SU and 3-7-1 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Knights won two out of three contests last season. In the last matchup, UCF won 84-54. UCF made 14 of their 26 three pointers (53.8 percent). Memphis was, meanwhile, 4-17 (23.5 percent).
Memphis Tigers at UCF Knights Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UCF, ATS Winner – Memphis, O/U – Under
- The Tigers average 6.2 steals per game, which ranks 116th in the nation. The Knights rank 157th in steals allowed per game (7.5).
- On the road, Memphis is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- At home, UCF is 2-1 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over.
- Memphis ranks 55th in blocks per game (4.5) while UCF ranks 143rd in blocks allowed per game (4.6).
- The Knights rank 51st in rebounds per game (39.1) while the Tigers rank 120th in rebounds allowed per game (34.6).
- Memphis ranks 211th in three pointers attempted per game (19.4) while UCF ranks 265th (15.6).
- UCF is 2-0 ATS with 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Memphis is 1-3 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over.
- The Knights average margin of victory in their last five games has been 13.4, up from 5.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 66.8 points per game (2.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.2 points per game (3.7 above their season average).