AAC foes will battle when the East Carolina Pirates (8-13, 2-8 AAC) take on the Memphis Tigers (14-8, 5-4 AAC) at Williams Arena at Minges Coliseum. Action begins at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNews.
Memphis Tigers at East Carolina Pirates Free Preview
The last time the Tigers played, they defeated the South Florida Bulls, 86-74. Jeremiah Martin was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 8-for-18 shooting. Memphis dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.9 (better than their season average of 17.6) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 45.5 (above their season average of 35.7). For those same stats, South Florida was 21.1 and 30.3, respectively.
The Pirates are hoping for a better outcome after their 71-69 loss to the Tulane Green Wave in their last game. With 12 points and 18 rebounds, East Carolina’s Kentrell Barkley played well. Tulane had a better free throw rate (0.185 vs. 0.111). East Carolina, on the other hand, held the Green Wave to an effective field goal percentage of 0.454 (below their season average of 0.532).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, East Carolina should have a considerable edge. The Pirates defense ranks 99th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.487), while the Memphis offense is ranked 276th in effective field goal percentage (0.489). Moreover, the Tigers could control the offensive glass in this battle as they rank 12th in the NCAA in offensive rebounding percentage at 36.1 percent. The Pirates, meanwhile, rank 295th at securing defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 67.9 percent.
Shawn Williams has been solid over the last five games for East Carolina, averaging 14.6 points per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Tigers won the lone game last season, 57-50. Memphis rebounding was their biggest strength. The Tigers had more offensive rebounds (19 vs. eight), defensive rebounds (33 vs. 32) and total rebounds (52 vs. 40).
Memphis Tigers vs. East Carolina Pirates ATS Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Memphis, ATS Winner – Memphis, O/U – Over
- The Tigers average 12.8 assists per game, which ranks 186th in the nation. The Pirates rank 218th in assists allowed per game (15.3).
- East Carolina ranks 233rd in three pointers attempted per game (18.9) while Memphis ranks 234th (18.8).
- Memphis ranks 47th in blocks per game (4.4) while East Carolina ranks 111th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- The Tigers rank 160th in rebounds per game (35.4) while the Pirates rank 211th in rebounds allowed per game (36.8).
- Memphis averages 6.2 steals per game, which ranks 123rd in the nation. East Carolina ranks 172nd in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- The Pirates average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.2, up from 5.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 66.6 points per game (3.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 64.2 points per game (5.3 below their season average).