The Memphis Grizzlies (8-15) can end a five-game road losing streak when they take on the New York Knicks (11-12) at Madison Square Garden. New York is a 2.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 197 points. Action starts at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 6, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Memphis Grizzlies at New York Knicks Odds Preview
The Grizzlies barely escaped the Minnesota Timberwolves in their last matchup, 95-92. Marc Gasol was Memphis high scorer with 21 points on 6-for-14 shooting. Memphis played a nearly flawless game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.292 (above their season average of 0.215) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.514 (above their season average of 0.504). For those same stats, Minnesota had marks of 0.228 and 0.468, respectively.
In the Knicks last game, they were topped by the Indiana Pacers, 115-97. Willy Hernangomez led New York in scoring with 14 points on 7-for-10 shooting. Indiana was lights out from beyond the arc (11-26; 42.3 percent). New York, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (28.8 vs. 20.0).
The offensive glass should be a major edge for New York in this matchup. The Knicks are among the NBA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking third in offensive rebounding percentage at 26.5 percent. Meanwhile, Memphis ranks 19th in the league at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 77.0 percent.
Games featuring these teams tend to go under the projected point total. Memphis games have finished under 65.2 percent of the time, while New York games have gone under 56.5 percent of the time. The Knicks come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 11-12 SU and 13-10 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 8-15 SU and 8-14-1 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Grizzlies won the last contest 101-88. Memphis did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (10-12; 83.3 percent). New York, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (6.0 vs. 13.0).
Memphis Grizzlies vs. New York Knicks Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Knicks, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Under
- The Knicks rank eighth in rebounds per game (45.0) while the Grizzlies rank 27th (39.3).
- Memphis ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (20.1) while New York ranks 15th (22.7).
- Memphis ranks 11th in three pointers allowed per game (28.0) while New York ranks 29th (33.2).
- New York ranks third in points allowed in the paint per game (39.9) while Memphis ranks eighth (41.7).
- On the road, Memphis is 4-5-1 ATS with 5 overs, 4 unders and 1 push.
- New York is 11-4 ATS at home with 8 unders and 7 overs.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, New York is 5-0 and Memphis is 6-3.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Grizzlies are 4-4 and the Knicks are 11-5.
- The Grizzlies average 5.5 blocks per game, which ranks sixth in the league. The Knicks rank 17th in blocks allowed per game (4.9).
- New York ranks third in second chance points per game (15.0) while Memphis ranks 29th (8.9).
- The Grizzlies rank first in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.7) while the Knicks rank 26th (19.5).
- The Grizzlies rank 20th in steals per game (7.3) while the Knicks rank 26th (6.7).
- Memphis ranks fifth in fast break points per game (14.4) while New York ranks 28th (6.1).
- New York is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Memphis is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Knicks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.2, up from 0.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 93.6 points per game (4.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 101.0 points per game (0.0 below their season average).