Both teams will attempt to put an end to their respective losing streaks as the Los Angeles Lakers (11-21) go head-to-head against the Memphis Grizzlies (10-24) at Staples Center. The Lakers have lost five home games in a row, while the Grizzlies have lost their last 10 road games. Los Angeles opened as a 2-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 198.5 points. Action starts at 10:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 27, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Los Angeles Lakers ATS Preview
The Grizzlies lost a close one to the Phoenix Suns in their last matchup, 99-97. Memphis Tyreke Evans had a good performance, leading the team in scoring with 25 points on 10-for-22 shooting. Phoenix did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (27-35; 77.1 percent). Memphis, on the other hand, forced the Suns into a turnover percentage of 17.9 (above their season average of 13.3).
The last time the Lakers played, they were topped by the Minnesota Timberwolves, 121-104. Kyle Kuzma was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 8-for-18 shooting. Minnesota had an effective field goal percentage of 0.649 (above their season average of 0.518). Los Angeles, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.6 vs. 14.3).
This game should be a showdown of conflicting tempos. Los Angeles has preferred to play up-tempo (first in possessions per game), while Memphis has been slower-paced (30th in possessions per game).
Of Memphis 33 games that accepted bets, 22 have finished under the O/U total, while 17 of Los Angeles 32 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Lakers have a substantial advantage. They are 11-21 SU and 16-16 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 10-24 SU and 10-21-2 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Grizzlies, it’s been Evans, who has averaged 22.0 points, 6.0 assists, 5.4 rebounds and 1.6 steals, while the Lakers have received solid contributions from Kuzma (25.6 points and 8.2 rebounds).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 209 points, just over the projected point total of 206.5. The Lakers won 107-102, covering as 2-point underdogs. The Lakers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.212 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.5. For those same stats, the Grizzlies recorded marks of 0.126 and 13.6, respectively. Kuzma recorded a double-double with 13 points and 12 rebounds.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Los Angeles Lakers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Under
- The Lakers rank second in fast break points per game (16.2) while the Grizzlies rank 23rd in fast break points allowed per game (13.0).
- Memphis ranks 10th in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.2) while Los Angeles ranks 28th (19.2).
- Los Angeles ranks seventh in second chance points per game (14.1) while Memphis ranks 26th (10.3).
- Memphis ranks 20th in steals per game (7.4) while Los Angeles ranks 22nd in steals allowed per game (8.3).
- Memphis is 5-8-1 ATS on the road, while Los Angeles is 8-8 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 8 of the Grizzlies’ 14 road games, while 9 of the Lakers 16 home games have gone over.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Los Angeles is 5-3 and Memphis is 7-8.
- The Lakers are 11-13 when they reach the century mark, while the Grizzlies are 5-6.
- The Lakers rank eighth in assists per game (23.2) while the Grizzlies rank 27th (20.5).
- Memphis ranks third in points allowed in the paint per game (40.2) while Los Angeles ranks 29th (49.9).
- The Lakers rank third in rebounds per game (46.5) while the Grizzlies rank 28th (39.6).
- The Grizzlies average 27.3 three pointers per game, which ranks 17th in the league. The Lakers rank 21st in three pointers allowed per game (29.8).
- Memphis ranks seventh in blocks per game (5.3) while Los Angeles ranks 29th in blocks allowed per game (5.9).
- Los Angeles is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Memphis is 0-4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Lakers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.6, up from 3.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 96.8 points per game (0.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 101.4 points per game (0.2 above their season average).