The Houston Rockets (9-3) will have their hands full against the league’s top shooting defense when they go head-to-head with the Memphis Grizzlies (7-4) at Toyota Center. Houston opened as a 6-point favorite, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 208.5 points. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, November 11, 2017, and it can be seen on ATTSN Southwest.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Houston Rockets Free Preview
In the Grizzlies’ last matchup, they barely escaped the Portland Trail Blazers, 98-97. Tyreke Evans led Memphis in scoring with 21 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Memphis played a nearly perfect game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.288 (above their season average of 0.245) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.527 (above their season average of 0.504). For those same stats, Portland was 0.235 and 0.481, respectively.
The Rockets come in on a high note after topping the Cleveland Cavaliers in their last outing, 117-113. Houston’s James Harden played a massive role in the victory, accumulating 35 points, 13 assists and 11 rebounds on his way to his first triple-double of the year. The Rockets had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 43.6 (above their season average of 20.1) and had a free throw rate of 0.377 (above their season average of 0.224).
This matchup pits one of the NBA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Houston currently ranks second in offensive efficiency and Memphis ranks fourth in defensive efficiency. Additionally, the Grizzlies rank 29th in offensive rebounding percentage (17.7 percent), while the Rockets rank first in defensive rebounding percentage (83.0 percent).
Of Memphis’ 11 games, seven have finished under the O/U total, while 6 of Houston’s 12 games have finished over the O/U total. The Rockets have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (9-3 vs. 7-4), but the Grizzlies have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (6-5 vs. 6-6).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Grizzlies, it’s been Evans, who has averaged 22.2 points and 3.4 assists, while the Rockets have received solid contributions from Harden (33.0 points, 9.6 assists and 1.8 steals).
These two teams have met twice already this season, with the Grizzlies winning both. Chandler Parsons scored a game-high 24 points in the most recent game, in which the Grizzlies beat the Rockets 103-89, covering as 2-point underdogs. The two teams combined for 192 points, which was 10 points below the projected point total of 202 points. Memphis had a much better turnover percentage (9.1 vs. 16.5). Houston, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of making free throws (17-21; 81.0 percent).
Memphis Grizzlies at Houston Rockets Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Over
- The Rockets rank second in rebounds allowed per game (40.1) while the Grizzlies rank 17th (44.7).
- Memphis ranks first in steals allowed per game (6.3) while Houston ranks ninth (7.8).
- Memphis ranks fourth in fast break points per game (14.5) while Houston ranks 15th (9.7).
- Houston ranks 13th in blocks per game (4.9) while Memphis ranks 15th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- On the road, Memphis is 3-2 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push.
- Houston is 2-3 ATS at home with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- When allowing less than 100 points, Houston is 3-1 and Memphis is 5-0.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Rockets are 9-1 and the Grizzlies are 4-1.
- The Rockets rank 16th in assists per game (21.9) while the Grizzlies rank 26th (19.4).
- Memphis ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (11.2) while Houston ranks 22nd (19.7).
- The Rockets rank first in three pointers attempted per game (44.7) while the Grizzlies rank 17th in three pointers allowed per game (28.8).
- The Grizzlies rank 19th in points in the paint per game (43.1) while the Rockets rank 25th (40.8).
- Houston ranks third in second chance points allowed per game (9.2) while Memphis ranks 19th (12.7).
- Houston is 3-2 ATS with 5 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Memphis is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Rockets’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.0, up from 6.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 102.2 points per game (0.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 102.6 points per game (4.6 above their season average).