The Detroit Pistons (17-28) will be 1.5-point favorites at home in Little Caesars Arena when they square off with the Memphis Grizzlies (20-24). The game starts at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 24, 2020, and will air on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Memphis Grizzlies at Detroit Pistons ATS Odds
The last time the Pistons played, they thoroughly outplayed the Sacramento Kings, 127-106, as 2-point underdogs. The Grizzlies, meanwhile, were blown out by the Boston Celtics, 119-95, and were unable to cover as 7-point underdogs. The Detroit game finished 11 points over the projected point total of 222, while the Memphis game went 19.5 points under the projected point total of 233.5.
The Pistons knocked down 37 of their 44 free throws (84.1 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.616 (above their season average of 0.536). Memphis, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of making free throws (12-15; 80.0 percent). Detroit rallied around Derrick Rose, who contributed 22 points, 11 assists and six rebounds. Jonas Valanciunas, meanwhile had a good game for Memphis, contributing 16 points and 13 rebounds.
The Pistons dominated this series last year, securing victories in both games. In the last contest, Detroit won 100-93. Detroit had a much better turnover percentage (8.2 vs. 21.2). Memphis, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.551 vs. 0.455). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Games featuring the Grizzlies have no tendency in regards to the total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Memphis comes into the game with records of 20-24 straight up (SU) and 22-21-1 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Pistons’ 45 games, 27 have finished over the O/U total. Further, Detroit owns records of 17-28 SU and 17-26-2 ATS.
The Grizzlies’ Valanciunas has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 19 points,12.6 rebounds,1.6 blocks per game. Meanwhile, Rose has averaged 23 points,6.4 assists during that same time frame for the Pistons.
The sweet-shooting offense of Detroit (sixth in the NBA with an effective field goal percentage 0.538) will square off against the mid-tier defense of Memphis (19th in effective field goal percentage allowed 0.534). The Pistons figure to have the advantage on that end of the court.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Detroit Pistons Betting Pick
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Under
- The Pistons average 16.9 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. The Grizzlies rank 28th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.0).
- Memphis averages 55.3 points in the paint per game, which ranks first in the NBA. Detroit ranks 25th in points allowed in the paint per game (51.4).
- The Grizzlies rank ninth in blocks per game (5.5) while the Pistons rank 24th in blocks allowed per game (5.6).
- Detroit ranks 12th in second chance points per game (13.4) while Memphis ranks 27th in second chance points allowed per game (14.4).
- Memphis averages 7.9 steals per game, which ranks 11th in the league. Detroit ranks 25th in steals allowed per game (8.3).
- The Grizzlies rank first in assists per game (27.9) while the Pistons rank 21st in assists allowed per game (24.6).
- The Grizzlies rank fourth in fast break points per game (17.7) while the Pistons rank 19th (12.1).
- Memphis ranks 16th in rebounds per game (45.5) while Detroit ranks last (42.3).
- Detroit ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (30.2) while Memphis ranks 20th (34.6).
- Detroit is 4-0 when they allow below 100 points, while Memphis is 1-0.
- The Pistons are 16-20 when they reach the century mark, while the Grizzlies are 20-18.
- Memphis is 9-9-1 ATS on the road, while Detroit is 9-13 ATS at home.
- In 19 road games, the Grizzlies have 11 unders and 8 overs.
- The Pistons have 15 overs, 6 unders and 1 push in 22 home games.
- The Pistons are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Grizzlies are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Detroit has 4 overs and 1 under, while Memphis has 5 unders.
- The Pistons have outscored opponents by an average of 10.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Detroit has lost by an average of 1.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 113.4 points per game (0.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 113.2 points per game (2.9 below their season average).