The Detroit Pistons (23-26) will be at home in Little Caesars Arena when they square off against the Memphis Grizzlies (18-32). Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 1, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Detroit Pistons ATS Preview
In the Grizzlies’ last matchup, they lost to the Indiana Pacers, 105-101. Memphis’ Marc Gasol had a solid game, finishing with 23 points, nine rebounds and six assists. Indiana had a free throw rate of 0.300 (above their season average of 0.170). Memphis, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.9 (above their season average of 22.0).
The Pistons come in on a high note after beating the Cleveland Cavaliers in their last matchup, 125-114. Detroit was lifted by Andre Drummond, who recorded 21 points, 22 rebounds and seven assists. Detroit dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great turnover percentage of 8.7 (better than their season average of 12.2) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.0 (below their season average of 22.8). For those same stats, Cleveland was 13.3 and 15.2, respectively.
Half-court execution will be at a premium when a pair of the league’s slowest-paced teams face off. Detroit ranks 21st in possessions per game (98.0) and Memphis is 30th (95.7).
Games including these teams have a tendency to go under the projected point total. Memphis games have finished under 57.1 percent of the time, while Detroit games have gone under 55.1 percent of the time. The Pistons come into this game with a substantial advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 23-26 SU and 25-22-2 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 18-32 SU and 21-26-2 ATS.
Drummond has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Detroit, averaging 16.4 rebounds, 16.0 points, 4.4 assists, 2.6 blocks and 1.4 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent matchup, the Pistons won 103-90. The Pistons played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 38.5 and a free throw rate of 0.134. The Grizzlies put up marks of 16.2 and 0.120, respectively, for those same stats.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Detroit Pistons Prediction
NBA Tip: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Over
- The Pistons rank third in second chance points allowed per game (10.6) while the Grizzlies rank 11th (11.5).
- Memphis ranks second in points allowed in the paint per game (40.8) while Detroit ranks seventh (42.2).
- Detroit ranks 20th in rebounds per game (42.4) while Memphis ranks 28th (40.3).
- Memphis is 9-11-1 ATS on the road with 10 overs, 10 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Detroit is 11-12-1 ATS with 12 overs and 12 unders.
- Detroit is 12-6 when they allow under 100 points, while Memphis is 11-9.
- The Grizzlies are 13-12 when they reach 100 points, while the Pistons are 20-12.
- The Pistons rank fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.6) while the Grizzlies rank 12th (15.6).
- Detroit ranks second in fast break points allowed per game (8.7) while Memphis ranks 28th (13.9).
- The Grizzlies rank seventh in blocks per game (5.2) while the Pistons rank 28th (3.7).
- The Pistons rank fourth in steals allowed per game (7.0) while the Grizzlies rank eighth (7.3).
- Memphis ranks seventh in assists allowed per game (21.1) while Detroit ranks 27th (24.4).
- Detroit is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Memphis is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Pistons’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.6, up from 0.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 102.2 points per game (2.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.4 points per game (3.9 above their season average).