Both teams look to end their respective losing streaks as the Phoenix Suns (11-22) go head-to-head against the Memphis Grizzlies (9-22) at Talking Stick Resort Arena. The Suns have lost five home games in a row, while the Grizzlies have lost their last eight road games. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 204 points with neither team favored. Action begins at 9 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Memphis Grizzlies at Phoenix Suns Odds Preview
In the Grizzlies last game, they were beaten by the Golden State Warriors, 97-84. With 21 points on 5-for-15 shooting, Marc Gasol led Memphis in scoring. Golden State did a great job of making free throws (22-25; 88.0 percent). Memphis, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (14.8 vs. 15.8).
The Suns are hoping for a better outcome after their 108-95 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers in their last matchup. T.J. Warren was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 9-for-24 shooting. Los Angeles held the Suns to an effective field goal percentage of 0.402 (below their season average of 0.495). Phoenix, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (25.5 vs. 20.0).
It will be a showdown of conflicting paces as the fast-breaking Suns (ranked third in the NBA in possessions per game) will look to push the more grind-it-out Grizzlies (30th in possessions per game).
Of Memphis 30 games that accepted bets, 20 have finished under the O/U total, while 17 of Phoenix’s 32 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Suns have a significant advantage. They are 11-22 SU and 16-15-1 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 9-22 SU and 10-19-1 ATS.
Alex Len has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Phoenix, averaging 11.0 rebounds, 10.2 points, 3.2 assists and 2.2 blocks per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Grizzlies won all three matchups last season. In the last game, Memphis won 130-112. The Grizzlies dominated every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 and a superb turnover percentage of 9.2. For those same stats, the Suns put up marks of 22.9 and 11.4, respectively.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Phoenix Suns Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Under
- The Grizzlies rank ninth in steals allowed per game (7.4) while the Suns rank 26th (8.8).
- Memphis ranks fifth in assists allowed per game (20.7) while Phoenix ranks 17th (22.8).
- Phoenix ranks ninth in second chance points per game (13.4) while Memphis ranks 26th (10.0).
- Phoenix is 6-10 ATS at home, while Memphis is 5-6-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 8 of the Suns 16 home games, while 6 of the Grizzlies 12 road games have gone under.
- Memphis is 7-6 when they allow under 100 points, while Phoenix is 3-2.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Grizzlies are 4-6 and the Suns are 9-13.
- The Suns average 5.0 blocks per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. The Grizzlies rank 27th in blocks allowed per game (5.5).
- Phoenix ranks fourth in rebounds per game (46.0) while Memphis ranks 29th (39.1).
- The Grizzlies rank fourth in points allowed in the paint per game (40.6) while the Suns rank 28th (48.5).
- The Grizzlies rank 14th in points off turnovers per game (16.9) while the Suns rank 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.6).
- Memphis ranks seventh in fast break points per game (13.6) while Phoenix ranks 26th in fast break points allowed per game (13.8).
- Phoenix is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Memphis is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Suns average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.6, down from 7.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 88.4 points per game (8.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 98.6 points per game (2.5 below their season average).