The Memphis Grizzlies (21-56), 12.5-point underdogs, will be at Smoothie King Center to go head-to-head against the New Orleans Pelicans (43-34) in a Southwest Division matchup. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 216.5 points and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, April 4, 2018.
Memphis Grizzlies at New Orleans Pelicans Betting Odds
Both teams were beaten in their last contest. The Pelicans fell to the Oklahoma City Thunder, 109-104, while the Grizzlies were defeated by the Portland Trail Blazers, 113-98.
Memphis had a better offensive rebounding percentage (20.5 vs. 19.5) while New Orleans had a better effective field goal percentage (0.524 vs. 0.479). New Orleans was lifted by Anthony Davis, who finished with 25 points and 11 rebounds. Meanwhile, Dillon Brooks had a good game for Memphis, finishing with 28 points and six rebounds.
Opposite tempos will be on display in this battle. New Orleans prefers an up-and-down style of play (second in possessions per game), while Memphis likes to grind-it-out (30th in possessions per game).
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when setting the O/U total of Grizzlies games, with 41 unders compared to 35 overs. Memphis heads into the contest with records of 21-56 straight up (SU) and 32-42-3 against the spread (ATS).
Vegas has a tendency to set the total low when the Pelicans are involved, as 44 of their 77 games have gone over the O/U total. Further, New Orleans owns records of 43-34 SU and 40-36-1 ATS.
In the season series between these two teams, the Grizzlies lead two games to one. The two teams combined to put up 215 points in their most recent game, which was over the projected point total of 209. Memphis lost 111-104, covering as a 9-point underdog. New Orleans was effective at getting to and converting from the free throw line. The Pelicans made 26 of their 32 free throws (81.3 percent), while the Grizzlies were 15-16 (93.8 percent). Wayne Selden Jr. was the top overall scorer in the game with 31 points.
Memphis Grizzlies at New Orleans Pelicans ATS Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Over
- The Grizzlies rank 10th in points off turnovers per game (16.8) while the Pelicans rank 23rd in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.4).
- Memphis ranks fourth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.8) while New Orleans ranks 27th (47.7).
- The Pelicans rank third in blocks per game (5.8) while the Grizzlies rank 24th in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- New Orleans ranks fourth in fast break points per game (14.8) while Memphis ranks 25th in fast break points allowed per game (13.8).
- New Orleans ranks 11th in rebounds per game (44.1) while Memphis ranks 28th (40.6).
- The Pelicans rank third in assists per game (26.4) while the Grizzlies rank 26th (21.4).
- The Grizzlies rank 10th in three pointers allowed per game (28.6) while the Pelicans rank 27th (30.8).
- New Orleans averages 7.7 steals per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. Memphis ranks 19th in steals allowed per game (7.9).
- Memphis ranks seventh in second chance points allowed per game (11.4) while New Orleans ranks 29th (13.6).
- Memphis is 13-11 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while New Orleans is 10-2.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Grizzlies are 16-22 and the Pelicans are 40-22.
- New Orleans is 17-21-1 ATS at home, while Memphis is 16-20-2 ATS on the road.
- Of the Grizzlies’ 38 road games, they have 21 overs, 16 unders and 1 push.
- The Pelicans have 26 overs and 13 unders in 39 home games.
- The Grizzlies are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Pelicans are 0-4-1.
- In their last five games, Memphis has 3 overs and 2 unders, while New Orleans has 4 unders and 1 over.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 99.4 points per game (0.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 103.2 points per game (1.6 below their season average).
- The Pelicans have been outscored by an average of 6.8 points in their last five games. On the season, New Orleans has defeated opponents by an average of 0.2 points.