The Memphis Grizzlies (22-58) will travel to Target Center to take on the Minnesota Timberwolves (45-35). Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, April 9, 2018, and can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Minnesota Timberwolves Betting Odds
Both teams defeated their last opponent. The Timberwolves defeated the Los Angeles Lakers 113-96, while the Grizzlies beat the Detroit Pistons 130-117.
The Grizzlies, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.497, had an extraordinary mark of 0.675, while the Pistons had a free throw rate of 0.194 (below the 0.257 mark opponents have averaged against Memphis this season). The Timberwolves, meanwhile, had a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 4.3 (better than their season average of 10.9) and held the Lakers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.443 (below their season average of 0.519). Minnesota was led by Karl-Anthony Towns, who had 14 points and 11 rebounds. Meanwhile, Marc Gasol had a solid performance for Memphis, contributing 20 points, nine rebounds and nine assists.
Minnesota could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their prolific offense goes up against one of the worst defenses in the league. The Timberwolves currently rank fourth in offensive efficiency, while Memphis ranks 23rd in defensive efficiency. Ball protection could be troublesome for the Grizzlies. They rank 27th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 14.9 percent), while the Timberwolves force the fifth-most turnovers in the NBA (opponents turnover percentage of 14.7 percent).
Of the Grizzlies 79 games with betting action, 42 have finished under the total. Memphis heads into the game with records of 22-58 straight up (SU) and 33-43-3 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Timberwolves 80 games, 44 have finished over the O/U total. Moreover, Minnesota owns records of 45-35 SU and 36-41-3 ATS.
In their two contests this season, the Grizzlies have won both. The two teams combined to score 194 points in their most recent game, which was well under the projected point total of 215. Memphis won 101-93, covering as a 13-point underdog. Memphis effective field goal percentage was its biggest strength over Minnesota. The Grizzlies had a rate of 0.565 while the Timberwolves posted a mark of 0.468. Gasol put up a double-double in the victory with 20 points and 10 rebounds.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Minnesota Timberwolves ATS Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Over
- The Grizzlies average 11.7 second chance points per game, which ranks 18th in the league. The Timberwolves rank 20th in second chance points allowed per game (12.9).
- Minnesota ranks fifth in points in the paint per game (49.1) while Memphis ranks 25th (42.2).
- The Grizzlies average 13.1 fast break points per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. The Timberwolves rank 23rd in fast break points allowed per game (13.1).
- Minnesota ranks 19th in assists per game (22.6) while Memphis ranks 26th (21.6).
- Minnesota ranks third in rebounds allowed per game (41.8) while Memphis ranks eighth (42.4).
- The Timberwolves rank first in steals allowed per game (6.4) while the Grizzlies rank 20th (8.1).
- The Grizzlies rank 24th in three pointers attempted per game (26.3) while the Timberwolves rank last (22.5).
- Minnesota averages 17.6 points off turnovers per game, which ranks fifth in the NBA. Memphis ranks 20th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.3).
- Memphis is 13-12 when they allow below 100 points, while Minnesota is 18-4.
- The Timberwolves are 42-22 when they reach the century mark, while the Grizzlies are 17-22.
- Memphis is 16-21-2 ATS on the road, while Minnesota is 19-19-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 22 of the Grizzlies 39 road games, while 23 of the Timberwolves 39 home games have gone over.
- In their last five games, Memphis and Minnesota are both 3-2 ATS.
- The Grizzlies have 4 overs and 1 under over their last five games, while the Timberwolves have 3 unders and 2 overs,
- The Grizzlies average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.2, up from 6.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 105.0 points per game (4.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 104.6 points per game (2.9 below their season average).