The Los Angeles Clippers (16-19) can prolong a five-game home winning streak when they meet the Memphis Grizzlies (12-25) at Staples Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 204.5 points with Los Angeles opening as a 5-point favorite. Action begins at 10:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018, and it can be seen on NBATV.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Los Angeles Clippers Betting Preview
The last time the Grizzlies played, they won big over the Sacramento Kings, 114-96. Tyreke Evans was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 10-for-16 shooting. The Grizzlies made 18 of their 24 free throws (75.0 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.632 (above their season average of 0.501).
The Clippers hope to keep it rolling after defeating the Charlotte Hornets in their last contest, 106-98. Los Angeles received a boost from Lou Williams, who was the games high scorer with 40 points on 12-for-21 shooting. The Clippers knocked down 24 of their 27 free throws (88.9 percent) and held the Hornets to an effective field goal percentage of 0.446 (below the 0.517 mark opponents have averaged against Los Angeles this season).
The offensive glass could be a major advantage for Los Angeles in this contest. The Clippers rank eighth in offensive rebounding percentage (23.9 percent), while Memphis ranks 26th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.1 percent).
Of Memphis 37 games, 23 have finished under the projected point total, while 17 of Los Angeles 35 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Clippers have a substantial advantage. They are 16-19 SU and 19-15-1 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 12-25 SU and 13-22-2 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Grizzlies, it’s been Evans, who has averaged 26.4 points, 7.4 assists, 6.2 rebounds and 1.2 steals, while the Clippers have received great contributions from Williams (26.0 points and 3.4 assists).
These two teams have met twice already this year, with the Grizzlies winning both. Austin Rivers scored a game-high 38 points in the most recent contest, in which the Clippers lost 115-112, resulting in a push. The two teams combined to put up 227 points, which was 29 points above the projected point total of 198 points. Memphis out-rebounded Los Angeles. The Grizzlies had 15 offensive rebounds and 47 total rebounds, while the Clippers had five and 36, respectively.
Memphis Grizzlies at Los Angeles Clippers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Clippers, ATS Winner – Clippers, O/U – Over
- The Grizzlies rank fifth in assists allowed per game (20.9) while the Clippers rank 20th (23.8).
- Memphis averages 7.3 steals per game, which ranks 20th in the league. Los Angeles ranks 24th in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Los Angeles ranks 15th in rebounds per game (43.7) while Memphis ranks 29th (39.6).
- Memphis is third in the NBA with 40.5 points allowed in the paint per game while Los Angeles is fifth with 41.5 points allowed in the paint per game.
- Los Angeles is 9-7 ATS at home, while Memphis is 8-9-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 8 of the Clippers 16 home games, while 9 of the Grizzlies 18 road games have gone under.
- Los Angeles is 10-2 when they allow below 100 points, while Memphis is 9-8.
- The Clippers are 14-12 when they score over 100 points, while the Grizzlies are 7-7.
- The Grizzlies rank 13th in points off turnovers per game (16.8) while the Clippers rank 18th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.8).
- Los Angeles ranks fourth in second chance points per game (14.4) while Memphis ranks 25th (10.4).
- The Grizzlies average 13.2 fast break points per game, which ranks 10th in the NBA. The Clippers rank 28th in fast break points allowed per game (13.8).
- The Clippers average 30.1 three pointers per game, which ranks ninth in the league. The Grizzlies rank 12th in three pointers allowed per game (27.6).
- Memphis ranks fourth in blocks per game (5.3) while Los Angeles ranks 19th in blocks allowed per game (5.1).
- Los Angeles is 4-0-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Memphis is 3-1-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Clippers have outscored opponents by an average of 11.4 points in their last five games. For the season, Los Angeles has lost by an average of 0.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 112.6 points per game (13.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 109.4 points per game (7.3 above their season average).