The Memphis Grizzlies (18-34) look to end a six-game road losing streak when they meet the Atlanta Hawks (16-37) at Philips Arena. Atlanta opened as a 2-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 204.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 6, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Atlanta Hawks Betting Preview
In the Grizzlies last game, they lost to the Toronto Raptors, 101-86. With 20 points on 6-for-16 shooting, Marc Gasol was the games leading scorer. Toronto forced the Grizzlies into a turnover percentage of 17.3 (above their season average of 13.1). Memphis, meanwhile, did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (20-23; 87.0 percent).
The Hawks come in on a high note after barely hanging on to beat the New York Knicks in their last contest, 99-96. Atlanta was lifted by Dewayne Dedmon, who put up 12 points and 14 rebounds. The Hawks made 14 of their 19 free throws (73.7 percent) and held the Knicks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.463 (below their season average of 0.514).
It could be a mistake-prone game for the Atlanta offense. Atlanta ranks 28th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.1 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Memphis forces the ninth-most turnovers in the league (14.7 percent).
Of Memphis 52 games, 29 have finished under the projected point total, while 27 of Atlanta’s 53 games have finished under the O/U total. The Grizzlies hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (18-34 vs. 16-37), but the Hawks have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (27-24-2 vs. 23-27-2).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 190 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 199. The Grizzlies won 96-94, but were unable to cover as 7-point favorites. Memphis had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (26.3 vs. 17.5). Atlanta, on the other hand, did a great job of making free throws (14-16; 87.5 percent). Tyreke Evans was the games leading scorer with 22 points.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Atlanta Hawks Free Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Over
- The Grizzlies rank second in points allowed in the paint per game (41.3) while the Hawks rank 15th (44.3).
- Memphis averages 26.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 21st in the league. Atlanta ranks 22nd in three pointers allowed per game (30.2).
- Atlanta ranks third in points off turnovers per game (18.5) while Memphis ranks 13th (16.9).
- Atlanta is 14-13 ATS at home, while Memphis is 11-12-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 12 of the Grizzlies 24 road games, while 13 of the Hawks 27 home games have gone over.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Memphis is 11-9 and Atlanta is 8-3.
- When reaching 100 points, the Grizzlies are 13-13 and the Hawks are 14-22.
- The Hawks rank 18th in fast break points allowed per game (12.0) while the Grizzlies rank 27th (14.0).
- Atlanta ranks sixth in assists per game (23.8) while Memphis ranks 28th (21.0).
- The Grizzlies rank eighth in blocks per game (5.2) while the Hawks rank 26th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Neither of these teams are great at rebounding the ball. The Hawks are 26th in the league with 40.8 rebounds per game while the Grizzlies are 27th with 40.6 rebounds per game.
- Memphis ranks ninth in steals allowed per game (7.4) while Atlanta ranks 26th (8.6).
- Atlanta is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Memphis is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.8, up from 4.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 101.8 points per game (2.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 105.6 points per game (3.1 above their season average).