The McNeese State Cowboys (3-6) can end a six-game road losing streak when they challenge the Pittsburgh Panthers (5-5) at Petersen Events Center. Action gets underway at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 16, 2017.
McNeese State Cowboys at Pittsburgh Panthers Betting Preview
In the Cowboys last outing, they lost to the North Carolina Central Eagles, 77-71. With 16 points on 6-for-18 shooting, James Harvey was McNeese State’s leading scorer. North Carolina Central had a better effective field goal percentage (0.542 vs. 0.460). McNeese State, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.9 (above their season average of 35.1).
The Panthers are hoping for a better outcome after their 69-60 loss to the No. 18 West Virginia Mountaineers in their last matchup. Ryan Luther led Pittsburgh in scoring with 13 points on 5-for-9 shooting. West Virginia had a much better turnover percentage (12.5 vs. 18.8). Pittsburgh, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (22-31; 71.0 percent).
Dating back to last season, a focal point for the Pittsburgh offense has been to get to and convert from the free throw line. The Panthers rank 37th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.290), but McNeese State has been among the best in the nation at keeping opponents away from the charity stripe (ranking 45th by yielding a FTA rate of 0.261). It will also be a tale of two paces as the up-tempo Cowboys rank 41st in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Panthers rank 276th.
Luther has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Pittsburgh, averaging 12.6 points, 10.2 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 2.2 steals per game.
McNeese State Cowboys at Pittsburgh Panthers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pittsburgh, ATS Winner – Pittsburgh, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Cowboys rank 118th in steals per game (5.7) while the Panthers rank 164th in steals allowed per game (5.7).
- McNeese State averages 3.4 blocks per game, which ranks 67th in the nation. Pittsburgh ranks 99th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- McNeese State ranks 25th in rebounds per game (35.3) while Pittsburgh ranks 200th (35.0).
- The Panthers rank 114th in assists per game (14.3) while the Cowboys rank 200th in assists allowed per game (14.9).
- Pittsburgh averages 22.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 125th in the nation. McNeese State ranks 204th in three pointers allowed per game (20.4).