The McNeese State Cowboys (6-7, 2-0 SthLnd) look to snap their seven-game road losing streak when they square off with the Abilene Christian Wildcats (9-6, 1-1 SthLnd), who will try to continue their five-game home winning streak. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
McNeese State Cowboys vs. Abilene Christian Wildcats Free Preview
The Cowboys defeated the Northwestern State Demons in their last game, 72-63. Kalob Ledoux was the games high scorer with 19 points on 7-for-13 shooting. The Cowboys were 9-12 from the free throw line (75.0 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.606 (above their season average of 0.462).
In the Wildcats last game, they topped the Sam Houston State Bearkats, 75-72. Abilene Christian was led by Jaylen Franklin, who contributed 11 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists. Abilene Christian played a nearly perfect game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.291 (above their season average of 0.199) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.536 (below their season average of 0.548). For those same stats, Sam Houston State had marks of 0.259 and 0.491, respectively.
Abilene Christian may have difficulty getting to the charity stripe in this contest. The Wildcats currently rank 284th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.205, while McNeese State ranks 24th in FTA rate allowed (0.169). Moreover, the Cowboys rank 278th in turnover percentage (20.9 percent), while the Wildcats rank 27th in opponents turnover percentage (23.5 percent).
Quatarrius Wilson has been playing at a high level recently for McNeese State, averaging 11.8 points and 10.0 rebounds over the last five games.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Wildcats won the sole contest played against each other last season, 82-78. The Wildcats dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.377 and a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 32.1. The Cowboys were 0.233 and 22.2, respectively, for those same stats.
McNeese State Cowboys vs. Abilene Christian Wildcats Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – McNeese State, ATS Winner – McNeese State, O/U – Over
- The Wildcats rank 22nd in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while the Cowboys rank 72nd (3.2).
- McNeese State ranks 10th in rebounds per game (42.3) while Abilene Christian ranks 211th (33.6).
- The Wildcats rank 15th in steals per game (8.9) while the Cowboys rank 133rd (5.8).
- Abilene Christian averages 16.1 assists per game, which ranks 53rd in the NCAA. McNeese State ranks 136th in assists allowed per game (13.6).
- The Wildcats average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.0, down from 6.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cowboys have scored an average of 72.6 points per game (1.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.4 points per game (4.9 below their season average).