The Massachusetts Minutemen (7-6) look to put an end to the seven-game winning streak of St. Bonaventure when they head to Reilly Center to square off with the Bonnies (10-2). Tip-off is set for 2:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017, and it can be seen on NBC Sports Network.
Massachusetts Minutemen at St. Bonaventure Bonnies ATS Preview
In the Minutemen’s last contest, they defeated the Maine Black Bears, 74-63. Carl Pierre was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 9-for-13 shooting. Massachusetts launched 24 three pointers, making 13 of them (54.2 percent), while Maine was 5-21 (23.8 percent).
The Bonnies come in on a high note after edging the Syracuse Orange in their last game, 60-57. With 23 points on 6-for-10 shooting, Jaylen Adams was the top scorer from either team. The Bonnies held the Orange to an effective field goal percentage of 0.325 (below their season average of 0.490) and had a better free throw rate (0.309 vs. 0.300).
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. St. Bonaventure currently ranks 269th in possessions per game (68.6) and Massachusetts is 290th (68.0). Also, the Minutemen rank 302nd in turnover percentage (21.5 percent), while the Bonnies rank 23rd in opponents turnover percentage (24.1 percent).
Adams has been exceptional over the last five games for St. Bonaventure, averaging 17.2 points, 5.8 assists and 2.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Bonnies won all three games played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, St. Bonaventure won 73-60. St. Bonaventure made good use of their 25 trips to the charity stripe, making 22 of them (88.0 percent). Massachusetts, meanwhile, was just 8-18 (44.4 percent).
Massachusetts Minutemen vs. St. Bonaventure Bonnies Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – St. Bonaventure, ATS Winner – St. Bonaventure, O/U – Over
- The Minutemen rank 88th in blocks per game (3.8) while the Bonnies rank 131st in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- St. Bonaventure ranks 156th in assists per game (13.2) while Massachusetts ranks 175th in assists allowed per game (14.5).
- St. Bonaventure ranks 31st in steals per game (8.3) while Massachusetts ranks 171st (4.9).
- The Minutemen rank 30th in rebounds allowed per game (31.3) while the Bonnies rank 165th (35.6).
- Massachusetts ranks 144th in three pointers attempted per game (22.0) while St. Bonaventure ranks 252nd (16.9).
- The Bonnies average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.0, down from 10.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Minutemen have scored an average of 69.0 points per game (2.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 61.8 points per game (6.0 below their season average).