The South Carolina Gamecocks (4-2) will be at home in Colonial Life Arena when they take on the Massachusetts Minutemen (3-4). The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 134.5 points with South Carolina set as a 13.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 2, 2017.
Massachusetts Minutemen vs. South Carolina Gamecocks ATS Preview
In the Minutemen’s last contest, they lost a tough one against the Quinnipiac Bobcats, 68-66. With 23 points on 9-for-17 shooting, C.J. Anderson was the games high scorer. Quinnipiac did a great job of converting from the free throw line (22-27; 81.5 percent). Massachusetts, meanwhile, held the Bobcats to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.7 (below their season average of 28.6).
The Gamecocks are hoping for a better outcome after their 76-60 loss to the Temple Owls in their last matchup. With 11 points and seven rebounds, Justin Minaya played well for South Carolina. Temple’s 0.233 free throw rate was their biggest strength over South Carolina, who had a rate of 0.172. The Owls mark was below their season average of 0.235, while the Gamecocks was below their season average of 0.272.
The offense of South Carolina will face off against the elite defense of Massachusetts. Since last season, the Gamecocks rank 206th in offensive efficiency, while the Minutemen are 96th in defensive efficiency. The Minutemen figure to have the advantage on that side of the ball. Ball protection could be troublesome for the Minutemen. They rank 292nd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 20.4 percent), while the Gamecocks have forced the seventh-most turnovers in the NCAA (opponents turnover percentage of 24.4 percent).
Of Massachusetts 6 games that accepted bets, four have finished under the O/U total, while 3 of South Carolina’s 7 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Gamecocks have a sizable advantage. They are 4-2 SU and 4-2-1 ATS, while the Minutemen are 3-4 SU and 3-3 ATS.
Massachusetts Minutemen vs. South Carolina Gamecocks Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – South Carolina, ATS Winner – Massachusetts, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Gamecocks rank 121st in rebounds per game (36.7) while the Minutemen rank 216th in rebounds allowed per game (36.2).
- South Carolina allows the 26th-fewest three pointers per game (18.4) while Massachusetts ranks 28th (18.5).
- South Carolina ranks 33rd in steals per game (7.6) while Massachusetts ranks 231st in steals allowed per game (6.9).
- The Gamecocks rank third in assists allowed per game (10.0) while the Minutemen rank 197th (13.7).
- Massachusetts averages 5.0 blocks per game, which ranks 24th in the nation. South Carolina ranks 216th in blocks allowed per game (4.0).