The Massachusetts Minutemen (11-18, 4-12 A10) will travel to Robins Center to challenge the Richmond Spiders (9-19, 7-9 A10) in their home finale. Richmond is a 3.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 147.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 28, 2018.
Massachusetts Minutemen vs. Richmond Spiders Free Preview
The Minutemen lost a tough one against the George Mason Patriots in their last matchup, 78-76. With 21 points on 8-for-21 shooting, C.J. Anderson led Massachusetts in scoring. George Mason had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (30.0 vs. 24.4). Massachusetts, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.157 vs. 0.074).
The last time the Spiders played, they were topped by the Saint Joseph’s Hawks, 72-70. Nick Sherod was the top scorer from either team with 20 points on 8-for-16 shooting. Saint Joseph’s did a fantastic job of making free throws (15-18; 83.3 percent). Richmond, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 10.1 (better than their season average of 15.6).
Massachusetts could have a tough time creating turnovers. Richmond ranks 75th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 17.2 percent), while Massachusetts forces the 79th-fewest turnovers (17.3 percent).
Both of these teams tend to finish over the projected point total. Games including Massachusetts have gone over 61.5 percent of the time, while 69.2 percent of Richmond games have finished over. The Minutemen hold a substantial advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 11-18 SU and 13-13 ATS, while the Spiders are 9-19 SU and 11-15 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Spiders won the lone contest played against each other last season, 75-64. Richmond was lights out from beyond the arc (15-26; 57.7 percent). Massachusetts, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (36.0 vs. 9.5).
Massachusetts Minutemen vs. Richmond Spiders ATS Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Massachusetts, ATS Winner – Massachusetts, O/U – Over
- On the road, Massachusetts is 6-7 ATS with 7 overs and 6 unders.
- Richmond is 4-8 ATS at home with 9 overs and 3 unders.
- Richmond ranks 30th in steals per game (7.6) while Massachusetts ranks 218th (5.0).
- The Minutemen average 15.5 assists per game, which ranks 59th in the nation. The Spiders rank 233rd in assists allowed per game (15.2).
- Massachusetts ranks 244th in rebounds per game (33.2) while Richmond ranks 285th (30.3).
- Richmond is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Massachusetts is 2-3 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Spiders’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 12.2, up from 6.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Minutemen have scored an average of 75.4 points per game (3.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 82.2 points per game (8.0 above their season average).