AmEast foes will clash when the Maine Black Bears (5-18, 2-6 AmEast) take on the Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks (8-13, 2-6 AmEast) at Cross Insurance Center. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 31, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks vs. Maine Black Bears ATS Preview
The River Hawks fell to the Hartford Hawks in their last outing, 77-70. Jahad Thomas had a good performance for Massachusetts-Lowell, leading both teams in scoring with 20 points on 7-for-12 shooting. Hartford had a turnover percentage of 13.6 (better than their season average of 17.0). Massachusetts-Lowell, meanwhile, held the Hawks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.6 (below the 32.0 mark opponents have averaged against Massachusetts-Lowell this season).
The last time the Black Bears played, they were defeated by the UMBC Retrievers, 86-74. Isaiah White led Maine in scoring with 22 points on 9-for-12 shooting. UMBC forced the Black Bears into a turnover percentage of 27.9 (above their season average of 18.4). Maine, on the other hand, did a great job of making free throws (10-14; 71.4 percent).
It could be an error-filled game for the Maine offense. Maine ranks 308th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.4 percent), while the pesky defense of Massachusetts-Lowell forces the 94th-most turnovers in the nation (20.8 percent).
Aaron Calixte has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Maine, averaging 20.8 points per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last contest, the River Hawks won 100-68. The River Hawks dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 15.6 and an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.654. The Black Bears were 24.1 and 0.434, respectively, for those same stats.
Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks at Maine Black Bears Betting Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Maine, ATS Winner – Maine, O/U – Under
- The River Hawks average 14.6 assists per game, which ranks 101st in the nation. The Black Bears rank 180th in assists allowed per game (14.3).
- Massachusetts-Lowell ranks 44th in three pointers allowed per game (19.4) while Maine ranks 204th (23.5).
- The Black Bears rank 144th in rebounds per game (35.9) while the River Hawks rank 269th (32.0).
- Massachusetts-Lowell averages 7.0 steals per game, which ranks 67th in the NCAA. Maine ranks 180th in steals allowed per game (7.5).
- The Black Bears average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 13.6, up from 7.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the River Hawks have scored an average of 71.0 points per game (4.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.2 points per game (4.1 below their season average).