The Maryland Terrapins (16-9, 5-7 Big 10) will attempt to end a five-game road losing streak when they clash with the Penn State Nittany Lions (16-9, 6-6 Big 10) at Bryce Jordan Center. Penn State is a 4.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 141 points. Action starts at 6:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 7, 2018.
Maryland Terrapins vs. Penn State Nittany Lions ATS Preview
The Terrapins were victorious over the Wisconsin Badgers in their last matchup, 68-63. With 19 points and six rebounds, Kevin Huerter had a solid performance for Maryland. The Terrapins made 18 of their 19 free throws (94.7 percent) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.532 vs. 0.482).
In the Nittany Lions last matchup, they blew out the Iowa Hawkeyes, 82-58. With 19 points on 9-for-10 shooting, Mike Watkins was the top scorer from either team. Penn State played a nearly perfect game. They had a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.586 (above their season average of 0.525) and a turnover percentage of 13.9 (better than their season average of 15.9). Iowa had marks of 0.391 and 16.7, respectively, for those same stats.
Penn State could have trouble getting to the free throw line in this battle. The Nittany Lions rank 257th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.219, while Maryland ranks seventh in FTA rate allowed (0.165). Furthermore, the elite offense of the Terrapins ranks 49th in effective field goal percentage (0.548), while the Nittany Lions are 44th-best in the nation at effective field goal percentage allowed (0.472).
Huerter has been outstanding over the last five games for Maryland, averaging 16.0 points and 6.6 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Terrapins won 75-69. The Terrapins played a nearly flawless game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.434 and a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 6.9. For those same stats, the Nittany Lions put up marks of 0.029 and 7.8, respectively. In the loss, Watkins recorded a double-double with 17 points and 17 rebounds.
Maryland Terrapins at Penn State Nittany Lions Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Maryland, ATS Winner – Maryland, O/U – Under
- The Nittany Lions rank 44th in assists allowed per game (11.4) while the Terrapins rank 114th (13.0).
- Maryland ranks 25th in rebounds allowed per game (31.2) while Penn State ranks 78th (33.0).
- Penn State ranks 28th in steals per game (7.8) while Maryland ranks 229th (4.2).
- The Nittany Lions rank 22nd in three pointers allowed per game (18.3) while the Terrapins rank 179th (22.6).
- Penn State ranks 12th in blocks per game (5.6) while Maryland ranks 116th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- The Nittany Lions average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.4, down from 9.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Terrapins have scored an average of 69.6 points per game (5.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.8 points per game (2.6 above their season average).