A defensive battle should be expected when the Michigan Wolverines (15-4, 4-2 Big 10) and the Maryland Terrapins (14-5, 3-3 Big 10) go head-to-head at Crisler Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 135.5 points with Michigan opening as a 7-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 15, 2018.
Maryland Terrapins vs. Michigan Wolverines Odds Preview
The Terrapins were blown out by the Ohio State Buckeyes in their last contest, 91-69. Kevin Huerter had a good performance for Maryland, finishing with 12 points and seven rebounds. Ohio State made 17 of their 29 three pointers (58.6 percent). Maryland, meanwhile, held the Buckeyes to an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.2 (below their season average of 29.5).
In the Wolverines last game, they beat the No. 4 Michigan State Spartans, 82-72. Michigan received a boost from Moritz Wagner, who was the top scorer from either team with 27 points on 8-for-13 shooting. The Wolverines forced 18 turnovers and held the Spartans to an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6 (below their season average of 38.2).
It might turn into a shootout as a pair of the nations best offenses face off. Michigan currently ranks 35th with 115.1 points per 100 possessions and Maryland is 59th (113.0). Moreover, the Terrapins rank 32nd in offensive rebounding percentage (35.2 percent), while the Wolverines rank 41st in defensive rebounding percentage (75.2 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Maryland games have finished over 61.5 percent of the time, while games including Michigan have gone under 55.6 percent of the time. Both teams have solid straight up (SU) records (14-5 for Maryland; 15-4 for Michigan), but the Wolverines have the edge against the spread (ATS). Michigan is 11-7 ATS, while the Terrapins are 8-6-1.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Terrapins won the sole contest last season, 77-70. The Terrapins played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.204 and an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 35.7. The Wolverines were 0.107 and 25.8, respectively, for those same stats.
Maryland Terrapins vs. Michigan Wolverines Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan, ATS Winner – Michigan, O/U – Over
- The Wolverines rank 23rd in assists allowed per game (10.7) while the Terrapins rank 107th (13.2).
- Maryland ranks 44th in blocks per game (4.6) while Michigan ranks 108th (3.4).
- Maryland is 2-4 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 2 unders.
- At home, Michigan is 5-4 ATS with 6 unders and 3 overs.
- Michigan ranks sixth in three pointers allowed per game (15.9) while Maryland ranks 172nd (23.2).
- The Wolverines rank fourth in steals allowed per game (4.3) while the Terrapins rank 167th (7.4).
- Maryland ranks 47th in rebounds per game (38.8) while Michigan ranks 203rd (33.8).
- Michigan is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Maryland is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Wolverines average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.2, down from 14.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Terrapins have scored an average of 72.4 points per game (4.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.8 points per game (7.3 above their season average).