In a battle featuring two teams that prefer to run the football, Coach D.J. Durkin and the Maryland Terrapins (+17) will be taking on their Big 10 counterpart No. 15 Michigan Wolverines (-17) at Michigan Stadium. The key afternoon game is scheduled to get underway at 12:00 p.m. ET and fans can tune in to the action on ABC.
Betting Preview: Maryland Terrapins at Michigan Wolverines
In this Saturday Big Ten game, Michigan is getting picked as the heavy favorite and the team’s currently giving up 17 points. In order to take the home favorite, moneyline bettors would currently need to lay down $1,400 to win $100 back on the Wolverines (-1400). The Terrapins are getting +780 moneyline odds. Some good live betting opportunities should exist during this matchup, and oddsmakers have determined the over/under (O/U) to be 52.5 points.
This game’s O/U hasn’t moved after it was set initially at 52.5. Having said that, the line opened at -18 so square bettors are siding with the Terrapins.
The underwhelming Terrapins are 3-1 against the spread (ATS) and are down 4.5 units so far. The team’s posted an Over-Under mark of 2-2.
The Wolverines are up 0.5 units for moneyline bettors this season. They’re 2-3 ATS and have an O/U record of 2-3.
The Terrapins are 3-1 straight up (SU), including 1-0 SU against conference opponents. The Wolverines are 4-1 SU overall and are also 2-0 SU in conference play.
The Terrapins are coming off a resounding 42-13 win over Minnesota on September 22 where Kasim Hill completed 10 passes on 14 attempts for just 117 yards and one touchdown. Ty Johnson (123 rushing yards on 11 attempts, one TD) propelled the ground attack while Taivon Jacobs (five receptions, 52 yards) and DJ Turner (one catch, 54 yards, one TD) manned the receiving duties in the win.
Michigan just got a 20-17 win over Northwestern. Shea Patterson completed 15-of-24 passes for 196 yards. Karan Higdon (115 rushing yards on 30 attempts, two TDs) led the running game while Nico Collins (six receptions, 73 yards) and Zach Gentry (three catches, 46 yards) led the pass-catching corps in the win.
Maryland has run the ball on 66.3 percent of its offensive possessions this year while Michigan has a rush percentage of 60.7 percent. The Terrapins have rushed for 258.5 yards per game and have 11 scores on the ground this year. The Wolverines are totaling 205.6 rushing yards per game (232.5 in conference) and have 12 total rush TDs.
The Terps offensive scheme has averaged 141.3 yards through the air overall and has four passing TDs so far. The Wolverines have produced 206.2 pass yards per outing (201 in the Big 10) and have nine total pass scores.
Maryland has let opponents rush for an average of 104.0 yards and pass for 209.8 yards per game. The Michigan defense has allowed 146.2 yards per game to opposing passers and 86.4 yards per game to opposing runners. The Wolverines are allowing an adjusted net yards per pass attempt (ANY/A) of just 3.23 to opposing QBs, while the Terrapins have given up a 4.63 ANY/A.
Patterson has completed 61-of-89 passes for 785 yards, six TDs and two INTs. Patterson’s adjusted net yards per pass attempt stands at 8.02 for the year and 6.73 over his past two outings. In the other huddle, Hill is up to 460 passing yards this season. He’s connected on 35-of-59 attempts with three passing touchdowns and has yet to throw an interception. Hill’s got an 8.36 ANY/A for the year, although that number is 3.72 over the past two outings.
When these two teams faced each other last year, Michigan knocked off Maryland easily 35-10.
Maryland Terrapins at Michigan Wolverines Betting Pick
SU Winner: Michigan, ATS Winner: Michigan, O/U: Over
Team Betting Notes
- Maryland was favored by 2 points in its last game and the Over/Under was set at 46.5. The over cashed and Maryland covered in the 42-13 triumph over Minnesota.
- Maryland, as a team, has produced 7.36363636363636 yards per carry across its last three contests and 6.6 over its last two.
- Michigan has averaged 5.2 yards per carry over its last three matchups and 5.3 over its past two.
- Each team has lost one fumble this season.
- Over its last three contests, Maryland is 2-1 ATS and the under cashed in two of those three.
- Michigan was getting 15 points in its last game and the O/U was 46.5. The under cashed and Michigan covered in the team’s 20-17 victory over Northwestern.
- In its last three matches, Michigan is 1-2 ATS and the over cashed in two of those three.
- Both passing attacks have produced four pass plays of 40 or more yards. The Terrapins have have made five pass plays of 30+ yards while the Wolverines have created seven such plays.
- The Maryland defense has allowed three pass plays of 40+ yards, while Michigan has given up two such plays.
- The Maryland offense has created 13 rushing plays of 20+ yards, while Michigan has created 11 such runs.
- Both defenses have allowed four rushing plays of 20 or more yards. The Terrapins have given up 20 running plays of 10+ yards while the Wolverines have given up 22 such plays.
- The Michigan defense has sacked opposing quarterbacks 16 times this season. Maryland has recorded just 10 sacks.