CUSA foes will collide when the Old Dominion Monarchs (12-4, 3-1 CUSA) take on the Marshall Thundering Herd (12-5, 3-1 CUSA) at Constant Convocation Center. Old Dominion opened as a 9-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 152 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018.
Marshall Thundering Herd at Old Dominion Monarchs Odds Preview
In the Thundering Herd’s last outing, they were victorious over the Charlotte 49ers, 91-83. C.J. Burks led Marshall in scoring with 32 points on 12-for-19 shooting. The Thundering Herd forced 18 turnovers and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.545 vs. 0.470).
The Monarchs are hoping for a better outcome after their 75-68 loss to the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers in their last outing. With 12 points and 11 rebounds, Old Dominion’s Brandan Stith put together a solid performance. Western Kentucky had an effective field goal percentage of 0.640 (above their season average of 0.556). Old Dominion, on the other hand, held the Hilltoppers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.0 (below their season average of 30.5).
The offensive glass should be a huge edge for Old Dominion in this meeting. The Monarchs rank 70th in offensive rebounding percentage (33.4 percent), while Marshall ranks 283rd in defensive rebounding percentage (68.4 percent). It will also be a tale of two tempos as the fast-breaking Thundering Herd rank fourth in possessions per game, while the more methodical Monarchs rank 304th.
Both of these teams have a tendency to finish over the O/U total. Marshall games have gone over 57.1 percent of the time, while 64.3 percent of games including Old Dominion have finished over. Both teams have solid straight up (SU) records (12-5 for Marshall; 12-4 for Old Dominion), but the Thundering Herd have the edge against the spread (ATS). Marshall is 8-6 ATS, while the Monarchs are 6-8.
Ahmad Caver has really been playing well over the last five games for Old Dominion, averaging 19.4 points, 6.2 assists and 2.8 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Thundering Herd won two out of three contests last season. In the last matchup, Marshall won 64-63. Marshall did a great job of making free throws (14-20; 70.0 percent). Old Dominion, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (38.6 vs. 18.2).
Marshall Thundering Herd at Old Dominion Monarchs Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Old Dominion, ATS Winner – Marshall, O/U – Over
- The Monarchs rank 14th in steals allowed per game (4.8) while the Thundering Herd rank 127th (6.9).
- Marshall ranks seventh in blocks per game (6.4) while Old Dominion ranks 33rd (4.9).
- Old Dominion is 3-2 ATS at home, while Marshall is 3-3 ATS on the road.
- Of the Thundering Herd’s 6 road games, they have 4 overs and 2 unders.
- In 5 home games, the Monarchs have 3 overs and 2 unders.
- Old Dominion ranks 41st in rebounds per game (39.6) while Marshall ranks 255th in rebounds allowed per game (40.3).
- The Thundering Herd rank 21st in three pointers attempted per game (27.8) while the Monarchs rank 222nd (19.1).
- Old Dominion ranks 74th in assists per game (15.3) while Marshall ranks 205th in assists allowed per game (15.6).
- Old Dominion is 1-3 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Marshall is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Monarchs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.0, down from 10.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Thundering Herd have scored an average of 86.4 points per game (1.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 79.4 points per game (3.0 below their season average).