The No. 11 Xavier Musketeers (18-3, 6-2 Big East) welcome the Marquette Golden Eagles (13-6, 4-3 Big East) to Cintas Center as they look to continue their 14-game home winning streak. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 165.5 points with Xavier opening as a 7.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018.
Marquette Golden Eagles vs. Xavier Musketeers Free Preview
The Golden Eagles had no trouble getting past the DePaul Blue Demons in their last game, 70-52. Sam Hauser was the top scorer from either team with 19 points on 6-for-12 shooting. The Golden Eagles held the Blue Demons to an effective field goal percentage of 0.313 (below their season average of 0.486). The Blue Demons had a free throw rate of 0.149 (below their season average of 0.225).
In the Musketeers last game, they defeated the No. 19 Seton Hall Pirates, 73-64. With 27 points on 8-for-14 shooting, J.P. Macura was the games high scorer. Xavier dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.241 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 15.1 (better than their season average of 15.6). Seton Hall put up marks of 0.131 and 21.4, respectively, for those same stats.
The productive offense of Xavier will go head-to-head against the porous defense of Marquette. The Musketeers currently rank 13th in offensive efficiency, while the Golden Eagles are 284th in defensive efficiency. The Musketeers should have the advantage on that side of the ball. Also, the Golden Eagles rank 44th in turnover percentage (16.6 percent), while the Musketeers rank 326th in opponents turnover percentage (16.1 percent).
Of Marquette’s 17 games with betting action, nine have finished over the projected point total, while 11 of Xavier’s 20 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Musketeers have a sizable advantage. They are 18-3 SU and 14-7 ATS, while the Golden Eagles are 13-6 SU and 9-8-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 178 points, well over the projected point total of 161. The Musketeers won 91-87, covering as 3-point favorites. One of Xavier’s largest strengths was their ability to convert at the free throw line. They were 22-24 (91.7 percent), while the Golden Eagles were just 8-14 (57.1 percent). In the loss, Andrew Rowsey led all scorers on the team with 31 points.
Marquette Golden Eagles at Xavier Musketeers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Xavier, ATS Winner – Marquette, O/U – Over
- The Golden Eagles rank 50th in steals allowed per game (5.5) while the Musketeers rank 146th (7.0).
- Marquette ranks 62nd in blocks per game (4.2) while Xavier ranks 138th in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- Marquette is 5-2 ATS on the road with 6 overs and 1 under.
- At home, Xavier is 9-4 ATS with 7 overs and 5 unders.
- Marquette ranks 13th in three pointers attempted per game (28.6) while Xavier ranks 255th in three pointers allowed per game (25.6).
- The Musketeers rank 36th in rebounds per game (39.4) while the Golden Eagles rank 250th (32.8).
- Xavier averages 17.6 assists per game, which ranks 16th in the nation. Marquette ranks 184th in assists allowed per game (14.7).
- Xavier is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Marquette is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Musketeers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.8, down from 11.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Eagles have scored an average of 84.4 points per game (1.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 80.0 points per game (4.3 above their season average).