Big East foes will clash when the Providence Friars (10-5, 1-1 Big East) meet the Marquette Golden Eagles (10-4, 1-1 Big East) at Dunkin Donuts Center. Neither team is favored and the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 151 points. Action starts at 6:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Marquette Golden Eagles vs. Providence Friars Free Preview
The Golden Eagles defeated the Georgetown Hoyas in their last matchup, 74-65. Andrew Rowsey was the games high scorer with 35 points on 9-for-18 shooting. The Golden Eagles forced 25 turnovers and held the Hoyas to an effective field goal percentage of 0.490 (below their season average of 0.546).
In the Friars last matchup, they were defeated by the No. 25 Creighton Bluejays, 83-64. With 15 points and 10 rebounds, Providence’s Rodney Bullock had a good outing. Creighton did a fantastic job of making free throws (19-23; 82.6 percent). Providence, meanwhile, held the Bluejays to an offensive rebounding percentage of 12.1 (below their season average of 26.5).
Marquette figures to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Golden Eagles currently rank 21st in offensive efficiency, while Providence ranks 162nd in defensive efficiency.
Of Marquette’s 12 games that accepted bets, six have finished over the O/U total, while 9 of Providence’s 13 games have finished over the O/U total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (10-4 for Marquette; 10-5 for Providence), but the Golden Eagles have the edge against the spread (ATS). Marquette is 5-7-1 ATS, while the Friars are 3-10.
Bullock has been impressive over the last five games for Providence, averaging 20.4 points, 6.8 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Friars won both meetings played against each other last season. In the last matchup, Providence won 73-69. The Friars dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.346 and a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3. The Golden Eagles were 0.154 and 17.2, respectively, for those same stats.
Marquette Golden Eagles at Providence Friars Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Marquette, ATS Winner – Marquette, O/U – Over
- The Golden Eagles rank 26th in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while the Friars rank 89th (3.4).
- Providence ranks 98th in assists per game (14.8) while Marquette ranks 142nd in assists allowed per game (13.7).
- Providence is 1-5 ATS at home, while Marquette is 3-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 3 of the Golden Eagles 4 road games, while 5 of the Friars 6 home games have gone over.
- Marquette ranks 10th in three pointers attempted per game (29.4) while Providence ranks 219th (19.1).
- The Friars rank 141st in rebounds per game (36.1) while the Golden Eagles rank 248th (31.9).
- Marquette ranks 40th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while Providence ranks 130th (6.9).
- Providence is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Marquette is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Friars average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.6, down from 4.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Eagles have scored an average of 82.8 points per game (0.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 68.0 points per game (6.1 below their season average).