Expect a shootout when the Marquette Golden Eagles (12-5, 3-2 Big East) and the Butler Bulldogs (12-6, 2-3 Big East) clash at Hinkle Fieldhouse. Butler opened as a 4.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 158 points. Tip-off is set for 6:30 p.m. ET on Friday, January 12, 2018.
Marquette Golden Eagles vs. Butler Bulldogs Betting Preview
The Golden Eagles won big over the No. 13 Seton Hall Pirates in their last matchup, 84-64. Andrew Rowsey was the games high scorer with 31 points on 10-for-18 shooting. Marquette dominated every stat category in the game. They had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 7.5 (better than their season average of 14.8) and a free throw rate of 0.191 (matching their season average). Seton Hall was 15.9 and 0.136, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Bulldogs last game, they were blown out by the No. 25 Creighton Bluejays, 85-74. With 15 points and eight rebounds, Butler’s Kamar Baldwin played well. Creighton did a terrific job of converting from the charity stripe (11-13; 84.6 percent). Butler, meanwhile, held the Bluejays to an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.7 (below their season average of 24.9).
Butler should have the advantage on the offensive side of the ball. The Bulldogs currently rank 70th in offensive efficiency, while Marquette ranks 285th in defensive efficiency.
Baldwin has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Butler, averaging 20.2 points, 6.0 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 1.4 steals and 1.2 blocks per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. The Bulldogs won both contests played against each other last season. In the most recent game, Butler won 68-65. Butler’s 0.176 free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Marquette, who had a mark of 0.083.
Marquette Golden Eagles at Butler Bulldogs Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Butler, ATS Winner – Marquette, O/U – Over
- The Golden Eagles rank 47th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while the Bulldogs rank 91st (3.6).
- Marquette is 34th in the NCAA with 5.3 steals allowed per game while Butler is 39th with 5.4 steals allowed per game.
- Marquette ranks 13th in three pointers attempted per game (29.1) while Butler ranks 150th (21.8).
- The Bulldogs rank 160th in rebounds per game (35.6) while the Golden Eagles rank 245th (32.4).
- Marquette ranks 44th in assists per game (16.2) while Butler ranks 112th (14.2).
- The Bulldogs have been outscored by an average of 2.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Butler has defeated opponents by an average of 7.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Golden Eagles have scored an average of 86.0 points per game (2.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 82.0 points per game (6.0 above their season average).