The No. 3 Villanova Wildcats (11-1, 0-1 Big East) will try to lengthen their six-game home winning streak in a matchup against the Marquette Golden Eagles (11-4, 2-1 Big East) at Wells Fargo Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 163 points with Villanova set as a 15.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018.
Marquette Golden Eagles vs. Villanova Wildcats Betting Preview
The last time the Golden Eagles played, they beat the Providence Friars, 95-90. Markus Howard was the top scorer from either team with 52 points on 17-for-29 shooting. The Golden Eagles forced 16 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.596 (above their season average of 0.574).
The Wildcats are trying to rebound after their 101-93 loss to the Butler Bulldogs in their last contest. Jalen Brunson was the games leading scorer with 31 points on 12-for-21 shooting. Butler did a terrific job of converting from the charity stripe (14-18; 77.8 percent). Villanova, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 5.1 (better than their season average of 14.0).
Villanova could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their prolific offense squares off against one of the worst defenses in the nation. The Wildcats rank fourth in offensive efficiency, while Marquette ranks 271st in defensive efficiency.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, the Golden Eagles won 74-72. Marquette’s free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Villanova. The Golden Eagles had a rate of 0.250, while the Wildcats posted a mark of 0.179.
Marquette Golden Eagles vs. Villanova Wildcats ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Villanova, ATS Winner – Marquette, O/U – Over
- The Wildcats are 20th in the NCAA with 4.9 steals allowed per game while the Golden Eagles are 47th with 5.5 steals allowed per game.
- Marquette is 35th in the NCAA with 2.5 blocks allowed per game while Villanova is 59th with 2.9 blocks allowed per game.
- Villanova ranks 138th in rebounds per game (36.3) while Marquette ranks 250th (31.6).
- The Wildcats average 16.8 assists per game, which ranks 42nd in the nation. The Golden Eagles rank 142nd in assists allowed per game (13.9).
- Marquette averages 29.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 11th in the NCAA. Villanova ranks 104th in three pointers allowed per game (21.3).
- The Wildcats average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.2, down from 19.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Eagles have scored an average of 85.4 points per game (1.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 73.4 points per game (1.8 below their season average).