MAAC foes will battle when the Monmouth Hawks (4-10, 0-2 MAAC) clash against the Manhattan Jaspers (5-6, 2-0 MAAC) at OceanFirst Bank Center. Monmouth is a 5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 139 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 5, 2018.
Manhattan Jaspers vs. Monmouth Hawks ATS Preview
The Jaspers beat the Marist Red Foxes in their last matchup, 101-96. Zane Waterman was Manhattan’s leading scorer with 23 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Manhattan’s 12.2 turnover percentage was their biggest strength over Marist, who had a rate of 21.1. The Jaspers mark was better than their season average of 22.3.
The last time the Hawks played, they were beaten by the Saint Peter’s Peacocks, 77-64. Micah Seaborn led Monmouth in scoring with 16 points on 4-for-7 shooting. Saint Peter’s had an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.3 (above their season average of 27.4). Monmouth, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.489 vs. 0.464).
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Monmouth. Monmouth ranks 331st in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 22.7 percent), while the pesky defense of Manhattan forces the 58th-most turnovers in the NCAA (22.2 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Manhattan games have finished under 75.0 percent of the time, while 60.0 percent of games involving Monmouth have gone over. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Jaspers have a clear advantage. They are 5-6 SU and 8-4 ATS, while the Hawks are 4-10 SU and 3-7 ATS.
Waterman has really been playing well over the last five games for Manhattan, averaging 14.0 points and 6.8 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Hawks won both matchups last season. In the last matchup, Monmouth won 62-58. One of Monmouth’s largest strengths was getting to the free throw line. They had 33 free throw attempts, while Manhattan had 26.
Manhattan Jaspers at Monmouth Hawks Betting Prediction,
Predictions: SU Winner – Monmouth, ATS Winner – Monmouth, O/U – Over
- The Jaspers average 5.8 steals per game, which ranks 143rd in the NCAA. The Hawks rank 155th in steals allowed per game (7.4).
- On the road, Manhattan is 6-4 ATS with 7 unders, 2 overs and 1 push.
- Monmouth is 0-2 ATS at home with 2 overs and 0 unders.
- Manhattan ranks 14th in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while Monmouth ranks 92nd (3.5).
- The Jaspers average 14.5 assists per game, which ranks 111th in the NCAA. The Hawks rank 160th in assists allowed per game (14.2).
- Monmouth ranks 219th in three pointers attempted per game (19.1) while Manhattan ranks 237th (18.4).
- Monmouth is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games. ,
- Over their last five games, Manhattan is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.4, up from 3.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jaspers have scored an average of 74.0 points per game (3.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 74.8 points per game (1.6 above their season average).