The Central Connecticut State Blue Devils (5-5) will be at home in William H. Detrick Gymnasium when they go head-to-head with the Maine Black Bears (3-9). Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017.
Maine Black Bears vs. Central Connecticut State Blue Devils Betting Preview
The Black Bears lost to the Saint Joseph’s Hawks in their last contest, 72-59. Maine’s Isaiah White put together a solid performance, leading both teams in scoring with 21 points on 8-for-14 shooting. Saint Joseph’s had a much better free throw rate (0.200 vs. 0.031). Maine, meanwhile, held the Hawks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.414 (below their season average of 0.483).
In the Blue Devils last game, they were beaten by the Boston College Eagles, 84-65. Tyler Kohl was the games leading scorer with 17 points on 4-for-12 shooting. Boston College had an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.7 (above their season average of 35.8). Central Connecticut State, on the other hand, did a terrific job of making free throws (10-14; 71.4 percent).
Central Connecticut State might struggle to put up points as they go head-to-head against one of the nations best defenses. Maine currently ranks 94th in defensive efficiency, while the Blue Devils rank 249th in offensive efficiency. Additionally, put-back points figure to be rare for the Black Bears. They rank 316th in the NCAA in offensive rebounding percentage at 23.5 percent, while the Blue Devils are 56th-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 74.6 percent).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Blue Devils won the sole contest last season, 82-61. Central Connecticut State had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.679 vs. 0.422). Maine, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (42.2 vs. 24.0).
Maine Black Bears vs. Central Connecticut State Blue Devils Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Maine, ATS Winner – Maine, O/U – Over
- The Black Bears average 6.1 steals per game, which ranks 125th in the nation. The Blue Devils rank 126th in steals allowed per game (6.8).
- Maine ranks 43rd in three pointers attempted per game (25.8) while Central Connecticut State ranks 222nd (18.4).
- The Blue Devils rank 46th in rebounds allowed per game (32.2) while the Black Bears rank 216th (38.7).
- Central Connecticut State ranks 31st in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while Maine ranks 118th (3.8).
- The Blue Devils average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.0, down from 2.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Black Bears have scored an average of 74.0 points per game (7.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 63.6 points per game (7.2 below their season average).