The Maine Black Bears (3-12) will attempt to put an end to a six-game road losing streak when they square off with the Stony Brook Seawolves (5-9) at Island Federal Credit Union Arena. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Maine Black Bears at Stony Brook Seawolves Free Preview
The Black Bears fell to the Columbia Lions in their last contest, 83-71. With 19 points on 7-for-16 shooting, Aaron Calixte was the top scorer from either team. Columbia had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.537 vs. 0.435). Maine, on the other hand, held the Lions to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.9 (below their season average of 23.5).
In the Seawolves last game, they were topped by the Norfolk State Spartans, 74-68. Akwasi Yeboah was the games leading scorer with 24 points on 6-for-15 shooting. Norfolk State had an effective field goal percentage of 0.587 (above their season average of 0.468). Stony Brook, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 42.2 (above their season average of 30.2).
It could be a mistake-prone game for the Maine offense. Maine ranks 279th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.9 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Stony Brook forces the 56th-most turnovers in the NCAA (22.3 percent).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. The Seawolves won both meetings played against each other last season. In the last matchup, Stony Brook won 67-66. Stony Brook had a much better turnover percentage (10.7 vs. 21.2). Maine, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (31.3 vs. 21.1).
Maine Black Bears at Stony Brook Seawolves Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Maine, ATS Winner – Maine, O/U – Under
- The Seawolves average 35.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 148th in the nation. The Black Bears rank 221st in rebounds allowed per game (38.5).
- Stony Brook ranks 41st in steals per game (7.8) while Maine ranks 158th in steals allowed per game (7.5).
- The Seawolves average 24.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 71st in the nation. The Black Bears rank 183rd in three pointers allowed per game (23.3).
- Stony Brook averages 15.4 assists per game, which ranks 75th in the nation. Maine ranks 170th in assists allowed per game (14.6).
- The Seawolves have outscored opponents by an average of 0.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Stony Brook has lost by an average of 0.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Black Bears have scored an average of 70.8 points per game (5.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.8 points per game (0.1 above their season average).